• Show
Clear All

• Air regulator on the filter

Hi there
    unplugged air regulator on top of
    the cover of the air filter,
    I left the engine running few minutes and plugged back in

..the enging now seems to have less power, even with the old filter

..a lot worse leaving regulator unplugged.

Enyone know how to reset it was a lot better before !!!
    shall I disconnect the battery?

disconnecting the batteries will reset the ecu and cleare any fault codes, so its a good place to start, ive never disconnected my air temp sensor at the electrics, but it was hanging down in the engin bay when i bought the truck, the previous owner must have pulled it out during a filter change, i cant say i noticed a problem or any diference though.

i may be wrong, but i thought that if the ecu recognised a fault with that component it would rely on factory preset values.

Comment

No difference with mine plugged in or not.
      Powered by Toyota!

Comment

thanks!

Originally posted by davemaxx View Post
        disconnecting the batteries will reset the ecu and cleare any fault codes, so its a good place to start, ive never disconnected my air temp sensor at the electrics, but it was hanging down in the engin bay when i bought the truck, the previous owner must have pulled it out during a filter change, i cant say i noticed a problem or any diference though.

i may be wrong, but i thought that if the ecu recognised a fault with that component it would rely on factory preset values.
        Thanks dave, yes will reset it probably. I tryed on different jap cars and in some cases it would reset even if you just replace the filter. But I never tryed disconnect power with the hilux, I just want to findout a lil more from some other experience. ANY1ELSE OUT THERE?

chris, if i take the sensor out the engine power is half of what it is normally, u may want to look into this to see if you need repair/improving prformance testing/replacing the unit

Comment

Sounds like you're experiencing a similar issue to the one I've had since buying my first surf just over a week ago. I found that the sensor had been removed from the top of the air box and noticed quite a difference after I replaced it. I'm still trying to get my head around this at the moment but it seems that if I leave the sensor in place but remove the wiring from it whilst engine is running, then there is only a slight difference. Remove whole sensor from box (engine running) and it has slightly more of an effect. So far it seems that doing either of the above BEFORE starting the engine produces quite a big power loss.

As has already been suggested, try an ECU reset after first making sure the sensor and wiring are in place.

Alan
          If at first you don't succeed,
          Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Comment

To be honest, its just a air temp sensor, whether its in the filter housing, or resting on the inner wing, there will be very difference in the air temp it is sensing.

If its actually touching a apart of a hot motor, the ECU will think the air temp is really hot, and alter the fuel to compensate for it.

If its not plugged in to the sensor, you should get a fault code, as there is no signal to the ECU from the sensor.

The biggest problem is with it hanging out you have infiltered air going in the engine, which should be more of a worry.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Alamo, Thanks for your feedbacks let see how it goes.

Tony I trouly appreciate you make this more clear but still.. doesnt sort it out.

This because the sensor was unplugged for little time - with no dust.

I had cars running for months wit unfiltered air due to little damage to plastic or filters, no problems for years after.

the point (in this case) is not engine losing power after running with unfiltered / dirty air.

The point really is the sensor changing after plugging back in and how to to reset it to better values.

seems *almost* back the same so no much difference now
              Last edited by freewheel; 5 May 2008, 17:07.

Comment

I didn't mean your problem specifically, I ment, as long as the plug is on the sensor, it makes very little difference to how the truck runs, on the hole or not.

Disconneting the ECU only resets the fault codes, nothing else, the motor has no O2 sensor in the exhaust, so it cannot adjust how it runs and tunes itself like modern motors. The ECU and sensors just monitor engine speed, intake pressure air and fuel temps at that moment in time, and adjust the fuel pump to supply the correct fuel at preset factory values.

More likey you just had a dodgy connection/sensor somewhere.

Originally posted by freewheel View Post
                Alamo, Thanks for your feedbacks let see how it goes.

Tony I trouly appreciate you make this more clear but still.. doesnt sort it out.

This because the sensor was unplugged for little time - with no dust.

I had cars running for months wit unfiltered air due to little damage to plastic or filters, no problems for years after.

the point (in this case) is not engine losing power after running with unfiltered / dirty air.

The point really is the sensor changing after plugging back in and how to to reset it to better values.

seems *almost* back the same so no much difference now
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If you unplug the sensor air is blown out not sucked in. Dont ask me why