4 Wheel drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Wheel drive?

Is there any way to get my surf into low box without the four wheel drive coming into action. I'm asking as in some instances I tow rather heavy loads and have to either back trailers up steep drives on hard surfaces. I can't do this in high as it'll stall the truck, and I can't use four wheel drive as i get massive torque wind and the tyres bounce and scrape due to there being a lack of centre diff. Cheers

This would be helpful on bothe my trucks, Gen 2 & 3.
    Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

Not sure on 3rd gen , but on 2nd gen, I think freewheeling hubs would do the trick!

Just leave them unlocked, as no drive is put through the wheels.. no wind up!

I think on 3rd gen, you have All wheel drive with a centre diff any way?
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Freewheeling hubs, or somewhere there is a thread or two regarding a wiring plug on the side of the transfer case/gearbox you can unplug to get 2wd lo. Unplugging the plug i think stops the ADD activating which means that although the front prop and diff are being driven the diff isn't driving the wheels.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Or just take the front prop out and put it back when you go offroad.....

Comment

I was thinking that there must be an electronic switch which is activated by the low high lever, so finding it and disconecting it would be best, or to even fit an override into the cab so i can have high/low 2wd, the high/low 4wd. Are you sure there is centre diff because as soon as you put it into 4wd and you are on tarmac the truck stops as if its stuck by torque. a centre diff would eliminate that proble surely.

Comment

There is a centre diff on a 3rd gen, which you said you had. Looking at the details of your trucks though, it looks like you have two 2nd gens???

Comment

Are you sure, I didnt realise. I know they are both rear wheel drive normally. Not permanent 4. I have a 1991 H reg 2.4, And a 1994 L reg 3.0 SSR-X Limited, but has a different front to the H Reg which looks like the older hilux pickup. The other one has a softer front end on it. Are they both gen 2? Cheers for letting me know, cos if they are i would have ordered the wrong parts in the future i think

Comment

The 3rd gen wasn't produced until '95. Your '94 is a late model 2nd gen.

Comment

Yep. The '91 is a pre-facelift 2nd gen and is only cosmetically different (other than being a 2.4 and the '94 being a 3.0 )

Comment

So correct me if im wrong then, but all the bodywork except for the front grill and lights is the same?! Only asking as my '91 has been jacked and a supra 2jz-gte is being finalised into it. So my next project is to bodylift the '94 and just run some small 33"s. But will the same wheel arch kit i got for the other one fit on the newer one?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
                      Is there any way to get my surf into low box without the four wheel drive coming into action. I'm asking as in some instances I tow rather heavy loads and have to either back trailers up steep drives on hard surfaces. I can't do this in high as it'll stall the truck, and I can't use four wheel drive as i get massive torque wind and the tyres bounce and scrape due to there being a lack of centre diff. Cheers

This would be helpful on bothe my trucks, Gen 2 & 3.
                      I have 2wd in low on a 2nd gen.

I can select 4wd in either as well, even though the plug is disconnected.

pics are here. http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...t/surf%20bits/

there are a couple of connectors, unplug one, use the H/L lever and see if the 4WD light comes on (only drive very short distance if on hard surface). If it does you need to disconnect the other one instead.
                      My other cars a QUAD
                      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
                        I have 2wd in low on a 2nd gen.

I can select 4wd in either as well, even though the plug is disconnected.
                        Please explain.

If you've disconnected a plug that powers the ADD (thereby allowing you to select lo gear but not lo 4), how can you have 4wd in either as well??????
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

from what i can work out the plug in question must be from a switch, which engages the ADD system when the transfer case is put into lo ratio. Normally shifting into lo range causes the ADD to activate automatically, unplugging the plug stops this happening so you have to press the 4wd button to actually get 4wd whether you're in Hi or Lo on the transfer lever.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
                            So correct me if im wrong then, but all the bodywork except for the front grill and lights is the same?!
                            Yep. Front bumper's slightly different too I think.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                              from what i can work out the plug in question must be from a switch, which engages the ADD system when the transfer case is put into lo ratio. Normally shifting into lo range causes the ADD to activate automatically, unplugging the plug stops this happening so you have to press the 4wd button to actually get 4wd whether you're in Hi or Lo on the transfer lever.
                              Correct

Found this out by accident though as mine has never gone into 4WD Lo on it's own, I'y always had to select using the button on the transfer lever
                              My other cars a QUAD
                              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Working...
                              X