problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem

Hello, got a problem with my truck, wondering if anybody can advise? Had a water pump leak that I spotted when I stopped for fuel, also noticed that the water temp was slightly higher than norm when i got back in. Drove short distance home and after it had cooled down the water reservoir was empty. Filled up and took to garage, they changed the water pump (and timing belt) and thought it was okay. Next time I drove it a short distance to test it got hot, turned off before it got to red, but the system was pressurising, pushing coolant out of the reservoir through the overflow. had a better look at home and there isn't any oil in the water water or vice versa. Is this the first stage of the head going? (or has it already gone?) Presume only solution is to get the head done? Have done a search on here but couldn't find anything on rough costs, could anyone give a rough idea. Wondering if it would be cheaper to sell to someone for repair rather than paying a garage to do it, presume they would charge an arm and a leg? Any help/info would be great. Use my surf all the time and it's the second we've had, first time we've had a problem though. Cheers, Ian

Could be the head or could just be an airlock or something. How's the coolant level? You could ask the garage to check the coolant for combustion gases to find out if it's the head.

Comment

you may have something simple like a sticking thermostat, if its stuck closed there is only a small bleed hole for the coolant to go through,take your stat out and run it without one or test the stat by putting in a saucepan of water and heat it up, the stat should open at about 80 c, sometimes the seal around the edge of the stat breaks up and this can cause a similar problem.

Comment

thanks for that, I've tried the thermostat but it's still doing it. Wondering if it is an air blockage, is there a special way to bleed the system?

Comment

After trying various different things like taking the thermostat out and draining/refillng/bleeding the system I'm still getting the same problem with my Surf. Didn't have a problem driving 10 miles , but tried driving further (30 miles) and when I got back the system was pressurising again pushing water out of the expansion bottle overflow.

I guess that the head is on it way out, can anyone give a rough idea of how much a garage would charge to fit a new head?

I don't have any knowledge of how to fix it myself and don't know a reliable garage in my area so if this is too much will probably try selling as spares/repair. Would this be something people are interested in? My surf is an M reg 3.0L SSRX Limited in Black. It has just had brand new Goodrich All terrain AT's on the back and Bridgestone Duellers TA's on the front, new water pump (100 miles ago) MOT till Jan 09 etc etc. Is it worth putting it in the for sale section?

Thanks, Ian

Comment

Working...
          X