Radiator removal and refitting tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator removal and refitting tips?

OK guys, following my weekend exploits I need to remove my radiator, clean it out, and refit it. I've searched the forum and found tips for a 2.4, but just thought I double check for a 3.0.

Do I simply undo the lower fan shroud. Undo the pipes (blocking the smaller ATF ones, and try to catch the ATF fluid that will drip out the radiator). Undo the 4 or so bolts, and lift?

Any tips on cleaning the fins out? Bearing in mind that the mud it's clogged up with has a tendancy to set like concrete. I'm guessing that a jet-wash on full blast isn't a good idea.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

just use a good old hosepipe let it soak for ages then use biggish paintbrush and detergent,rinse repeat etc till clean
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I think I might have a large tub I can let it soak in for a few hours - maybe over-night. In fact, I could just leave it in the bath.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Hi Paul,
        Cleaned the truck today in the alley next to my garage with the jet-wash. Radiator wasn`t too badly clogged- my alternator was worse. I used the jet-wash like a lethal weapon over the whole engine bay, from the roof to the under-carriage. Used the jet-wash on the rad. just not too close but in your case an over-night soaking and then a light wire-brushing both sides should do the trick. If it`s still clogged in the middle, use the jet-wash from a safe firing distance

p.s. Politely informed our neighbour about the imminent jetwash attack in the alley and cleaned my mess afterwards to keep us in the good books!
        Yes, Paul, it shows true dedication to surfdom to bath with your rad!
        Last edited by chrisinflight; 7 April 2008, 16:27.