Brake problems.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake problems.........

A week or so ago, it pulled to one side (left) under braking but it didn't happen again untill last night.

Then, it pulled slightly to the left under braking followed by the pedal feeling very solid. With a good push it kind of jolted down and the brakes were fine again.

Do I have a sticky F/O/S caliper? if so can it be overhauled or is it something further up the line, servo etc?

Otherwise, can someone recommend a good garage in Kent as obviously I can't be taking any chances with the brakes.

Cheers

Chris
    Signature stolen along with Surf...

I would possibly look at doing both, then youll be sure to have even brakes, it would be a pain to overhaul one thats really bad, only to find the other is quite bad.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Thanks for that, makes sense.

I think though that its actually a problem with the servo, anyone concour?

Cheers

Chris

Comment

the servo only offers assistance to the drivers foot, it reduces the amount of pressure required to depress the brake pedal.

i think you need to sort out the calipers.

check to see if the pads are wearing evenly in each side of caliper.
        uneven wear could indicate a sticking caliper piston.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

agree with kerrsurf here.

the servo just takes away the need for superman legs to work the brakes.

have a look at the caliper action with the wheel off and a mate pressing down on the brake.the rebuild kit is very cheap from milners or roughtrax(mine did the same as yours and this cured it)
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Ok will do, many thanks.

Do I have two seperate issues here do you think? a worn servo and a sticky caliper?

Driving it today it didn't pull to one side at all but whilst slowing down gently for a junction the brake pedal suddenly dropped half an inch or so and the brakes came on a lot more fiercely.

I've just checked Milners and roughtrax and I can't see a rebuil kit. Does anyone have a link by any chance?
            Saying that, the new caliers are a good price from Milners, I thought they'd be a lot more than that.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

I would do as the guys say, check the caliper isn't sticking on the NS but also check the OS carefully as well as a flexi which is collapsing internally on the OS would give the symptoms your are describing...

fortunately another cheap fix
              Toot! Toot!

Comment

you could have a lot of air in the brakelines if the pedal is suddenly dropping.

this can be caused by a few different factors but I would be very wary of using your truck until you have sorted it properly.

check your fluid level asap.

do as has been advised above in regard to checking the caliper operation.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

You could also try looking at the load valve mounted on the rear axle
                  Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Thanks guys.

TBH there is no point in checking the calipers as the fault is intermittent and 99% of the time they work fine.

I will overhaul them both just as soon as I can find a repair kit. I've emailed Milners and am just waiting for a reply.

The brakes aren't spongy at all, when the pedal drops its more of a grating jolt and not sponginess, also the fluid level is not dropping.

I'll check the load valve to see if its been damaged, I thought that just split the front and rear load, can it control the left and right sides too?

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X