X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0TD Engine Advice

Hi all,

I have a Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Ltd.

Last year the engine chucked it, the cause was a cracked cylinder head and bore of piston number 1, there was a new radiator fitted 9 months prior to this happening and also there were no signs of overheating on the temperature gauge.

This engine was changed for another good one from a running 4runner but the same has happened again after only 6 months.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and, I would also like some advice on what would be the best engine to fit so that it lasts a bit longer?!?

Cheers Dave

Did you have the 2.4?

I believe the 3.0td is a stronger lump but all engines need proper cooling and lubrication, so maybe you just got unlucky.
    I have a 3.0td with no problems (touches wood)
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Just noticed, are you right next to Drumclog, if so get yourself down for the next mud day by our scottish contingent.
      check the off roading threads.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Note the thread title Alan....

The 3.0s are generally strong engines. Some heads have cracked but you're talking about 15 year old motors here. When you changed the engine, did you swap over the whole cooling system? If you didn't you may have a blockage, problem with the water pump etc etc. If you did, your luck sucks big.

There's no inherent problem with the engine that would make two go. Are you sure it's dead again.

There isn't really a more reliable engine. If you want to play games, swap in a petrol V8.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          Did you have the 2.4?

I believe the 3.0td is a stronger lump but all engines need proper cooling and lubrication, so maybe you just got unlucky.
          I have a 3.0td with no problems (touches wood)
          Nope, both were 3.0L TD.

Both were serviced regulary (oil and filter every 3000 miles!) and according to temp gauge never overheated. New radiator thermostat anti freeze etc!

Actually stay about 3 mins from the 4x4 track but seeing it aint running so it aint going!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            Note the thread title Alan....

The 3.0s are generally strong engines. Some heads have cracked but you're talking about 15 year old motors here. When you changed the engine, did you swap over the whole cooling system? If you didn't you may have a blockage, problem with the water pump etc etc. If you did, your luck sucks big.

There's no inherent problem with the engine that would make two go. Are you sure it's dead again.

There isn't really a more reliable engine. If you want to play games, swap in a petrol V8.
            No blocks, everything circulated as should! Yes it def gone again, its stripped down at the moment! The cylinders are full of water this time as well and there is no blown bit in the gasket!!!

I read somewhere about the anti freeze type makin a differnece is this an urban legend or is it right enough?!

Comment

The recommended coolant is "Toyota RED" although i'm not sure how important the Toyota bit is. It comes pre-mixed so you don't have to worry about the water to coolant ratio. It is called "Long Life" which is useful, because it ain't cheap.

If you was to use something else in a different colour, i'm not sure how much difference it would make, although I understand mixing two different types isn't really advised. I "think" its a concearn because they could react with each other and erm, well kinda turn to jelly! I really don't know for sure, it could be a myth..I just recal reading about it somewhere.
              Last edited by mickey; 27 March 2008, 08:23.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
                The recommended coolant is "Toyota RED" although i'm not sure how important the Toyota bit is. It comes pre-mixed so you don't have to worry about the water to coolant ratio. It is called "Long Life" which is useful, because it ain't cheap.

If you was to use something else in a different colour, i'm not sure how much difference it would make, although I understand mixing two different types isn't really advised. I "think" its a concearn because they could react with each other and erm, well kinda turn to jelly! I really don't know for sure, it could be a myth..I just recal reading about it somewhere.
                No it is not a myth, meet the mythbuster... I bought a ssrx 3.0td straight from Japan. It had Toyota red coolant in it. I wasn't aware at the time Toyota RED does not mix well with european stuff. I don't think it was the cause of my cracked head, but It does form a lot of Goo that takes some clearing out.

If you are changing your coolant I would advise a right good flushing to clear out the old stuff.

There seems to be a lot of 3.0 td heads going now, but with a 15 year old motor you kind of expect it. Looks like you have been unlucky, most of the one's I've know of crack at No4
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650 View Post
                  No it is not a myth, meet the mythbuster... I bought a ssrx 3.0td straight from Japan. It had Toyota red coolant in it. I wasn't aware at the time Toyota RED does not mix well with european stuff. I don't think it was the cause of my cracked head, but It does form a lot of Goo that takes some clearing out.

If you are changing your coolant I would advise a right good flushing to clear out the old stuff.

There seems to be a lot of 3.0 td heads going now, but with a 15 year old motor you kind of expect it. Looks like you have been unlucky, most of the one's I've know of crack at No4
                  Its always had Red stuff in it all be it not Toyota RED.....

Dont see why age comes into it tbh, but open to suggestions on this idea?!

Need another engine before I try flushing out coolant

Any suggestions where I can get a second hand engine from anyone?!

Comment

Originally posted by 26dave08 View Post

Any suggestions where I can get a second hand engine from anyone?!
                    ask in "parts wanted" here

or
                    £645 off that auction site
                    http://tinyurl.com/4vacx7

£895 off that auction site
                    http://tinyurl.com/3kswhs
                    at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Working...
                    X