Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Pump-----Gone :(

Hey all..

I have a 1992 surf with a 1KZ-TE engine. Recently while driving, the truck just stopped dead...After checking the basics, I was forced to call the mechanic who identified the diesel pump as the cause...Could any one let me know why and how could it stop working so that it doesnt happen again? it is quite costly as well
    OAK

Is the timing belt OK? I doubt the pump would just suddenly fail unless the key-way on the pump shaft had sheared, or one of the electrical plugs has come apart or failed.

Comment

Like Vince said, it could be anything, belt/pully problem, electrical plugs, ECU, pump itself, any of the sensors on the pump????

Its a bit vauge. Need more info.

Pumps are generally very reliable, if you look after the fuel filter.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks for the replies

as far we can tell the timing belt, the ECU and plugs are working fine...the mechanics theory is that the fuel filter let in some water/bad quality diesel which prolly damaged the pump itself..have gone for a fuel filter as well as a pump change now
        OAK

Comment

Make sure you get/see the pump they take off.

Comment

I agree, get the pump back, and have it refurbed and sell it on to recoup some of your costs.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

As a note, 3.0's started in 93' If you ask around for a pump for a 92 truck you'll confuse people and end up with a 2.4 pump!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i just had my 2.4pump repaced,with a recon unit and it did just stop working.it would occasionally rev,but mostly wouldnt open up and just chucked out loads of smoke.the 3.0 litre pump seemed to be different(the guy has several surfs as breakers),but if the inners are the same then mine just packed up overnight.on the plus side i got a recon pump and had it fitted for 200 quid
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

thanks all for your replies...hv got my ride nice and working again
                  OAK

Comment

Working...
                  X