Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on buying ssr-x 3.0 limited

hi
    im a new member i have been running a pajero 2.5 for 2 yrs and am now looking at buying a surf.are there any main faults i should look for . also does anyone know the best type of roof rack to fit.im a window cleaner so it needs to be sturdy.any feedback apreciated.

cheers

Some of the guys have had custom racks built. However, THULE do have an off the shelf rack that fits the Surf. I need a rack too, and as with your's, it'll need to take an alloy extendable ladder. Although the THULE rack needs to be fitted over the windows [unless your's has channels, which mine doesn't] and obviously the spacing between bars won't be great, i have been assured it'll hold up to the job. Maybe one of those upright bars on the bonnet will give more confidence?

As for problems with the surf..Well, i don't think there are too many issues to fill you with dread. I can't think of anything specific to the 3ltr, although a thorough inspection of the radiator/coolant and oil might not go amiss. Toyota surf radiators are very prone to developing small pin prick weeps [usually at the top] and although the 3lt head isn't AS prone to cracking as the 2:4, there are a number of posts that remind us they can, and do "go" but i doubt wether the incidence is greater than with any other car/4x4..Just that every vehicle owner needs something to be paranoid about to give us something to post about.

Filters and parts all available from "Roughtrax"..Servicing is quite straightforwards, although you may find getting the oil and fuel filter off can be frustrating [when you replace them, put them on "hand tight"].

Comment

mornin all

I was in the same position as you (ran 3 pajeros, one 2.5 & 2 2.8) but always wanted a surf.

get the latest one you can afford, 3.0 is much better than 2.4 - feels a lot more car like than the paj - bits are just as easy to get.

3rd gen has roof challnels fitted & halfords do a bar kit rated at 80kgs - plenty for ladders & they span the lenght of the roof.

must say that, even tho I loved the paj (apart from the 2.5, a bit underpowered & a bit "tortoise like" towing the caravan, the surf is in a different league.

hope this helps

ta

hawaii
      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Just watch out for your oil level rising in the sump. Mine rose on a 50% mix and I couldnt work it out until I came across something on the interweb about cold veg oil not being sprayed fine enough therefore not burning and running down the bore into the sump.
        Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

thanks never heard of that i run the pajero on about 60% in the summer.But veg oil has gone up a hell of a lot ,i wonder why.

cheers

reedy

Comment

worth

Hi there guys, my 3.0 ltr surf has developed a head problem of some kind.
            I have not renewed the m.o.t. as a tester will rev the motor and I do not wish to cause any more damage.
            My question is what is it worth as the truck stands and is it possible to sell the truck as it stands. ( anybody out there want to make an offer )
            the truck is in good condition, starts easily and drives if necessary. It also has good tyres a new exhaust and has been a great reliable vehicle up until this problem. I have another car and so am looking to sell it if possible as it stands.
            I would appreciate any replies, thanks guys.

Comment

For a 3.0 you will be looking at about the 5-600 mark with prices as they are at the moment.if you got the room break it yourself as you will get back a hell of a lot more than the £600 from a breaker
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by reedys View Post
                hi
                im a new member i have been running a pajero 2.5 for 2 yrs and am now looking at buying a surf.are there any main faults i should look for . also does anyone know the best type of roof rack to fit.im a window cleaner so it needs to be sturdy.any feedback apreciated.

cheers
                Hi i would go for the 3rd gen if you have the funds.if i got a original 2nd gen surf roof rack off ebay they do come up every now and again its real good solid rack ive had 500 kg on it so well made i would not buy the thule stuff its flimsy crap. if u go for 2nd gen watch out for head probs lots about overheating ect

Comment

Ziggy - I don't suppose you have a pic of your roofrack do you please. I've been looking for a rack (Thule type) for a while now but didn't realise there was such a thing as an original rack for the Surf.

Alan
                  If at first you don't succeed,
                  Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Alamo View Post
                    Ziggy - I don't suppose you have a pic of your roofrack do you please. I've been looking for a rack (Thule type) for a while now but didn't realise there was such a thing as an original rack for the Surf.

Alan
                    Hi i will sort you out a pic of roof rack at the weekend

Comment

Thanks Ziggy, much appreciated.

Alan
                      If at first you don't succeed,
                      Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Alamo View Post
                        Thanks Ziggy, much appreciated.

Alan
                        Hi delay cant find the usb cable will get one on monday

Comment

Working...
                        X