yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the fuel filter heater coolant or Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the fuel filter heater coolant or Electric?

Hi all,
    Could someone tell me if the fuel filter heating system on the Surfs by coolant or by Electricity?

I am getting mixed information from breakers yards.

TIA

The Toyota factory fitted one on the fuel filter is electric. A coolant heated one would be useless at start up.
    Last edited by Albannach; 14 March 2008, 21:31.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for that - I am trying to set up a dual tank SVO system. I need to source a 3l capacity coolant heated fuel filter assy - can I find one, can i heck!

Comment

4 Runners have them as standard but I don't know what temperature they come on at

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons View Post
          Thanks for that - I am trying to set up a dual tank SVO system. I need to source a 3l capacity coolant heated fuel filter assy - can I find one, can i heck!
          Make one? Search for the stuff Popeye did on his Veg set up.

Comment

Making one is simply too much grief. I would like to get something that will allow me to get parts off the shelf, in the future.

I do not want a leccy one. Too much grief, although I can bypass the thermostatic switch to control temps myself. Leccy = increased engine loads= higher fuel consumption.

Might as well use waste energy to do the job.

Comment

I haqve a 3rd gen 4runner SR5 which i believe wasn't made for UK market. How can i tell if my filter heats up, as i was wondering why (Touch Wood) i haven't had same problems when using Veg on startup. Maybe thats the reason.
              Philip
              Still Searching,
              Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by ChasesDragons View Post
                Making one is simply too much grief. I would like to get something that will allow me to get parts off the shelf, in the future.

I do not want a leccy one. Too much grief, although I can bypass the thermostatic switch to control temps myself. Leccy = increased engine loads= higher fuel consumption.

Might as well use waste energy to do the job.
                A straight coolant operated heater will be useless when you most need it, i.e. at start up. Why not invest in the ones on eBay? £80ish for one that uses electrics at start up then switches to coolant once the coolant is warm enough. You can also get heaters with 2 passes, one pre filter one post filter.

Comment

Albannach, I am using a twin tank system. So starts on pure DERV, heats coolant and engine up before switching to Bio.

To the PP who wanted to spot surf heated filters:
                  Check THIS MESSAGE it has got the piccies for identification.

Technically, the KZN filter heaters will not lend ANY assistance at all to the question of biofuel heating, if they are pure leccy. I understand they are there simply to hoik up standard diesel fuel temps out of their waxing range - apr 10 degrees Centigrade. I believe you will need to heat SVO/WVO to apr 60 degrees C to attain the same general viscosities of Dino. This is not going to happen if the filter is electrically heated with a 10 degree thermostat on it.

My Fuel pump went boopsy after straight WVO use. I would recommend some care as to using 100% VO. Thin it at least 25% if poss. I think the Surfs are INDIRECT DIESEL INJECTION machines, you may be surviving by that virtue....so far :P

Udhi
                  Regards
                  Udhi
                  Last edited by ChasesDragons; 14 March 2008, 23:54.

Comment

Working...
                  X