Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Oil Drain Pipe

Turbo Oil Drain Pipe

Ok I have read all the posts on this one but just like to confirm......

Can you replace this pipe with everything in place? Some suggest it's just possible. Others mention micro hands may help!

The two bolts to the block I can reach. The other with the banjo fitting is the unknown.
    Also I don't want to lose a drop of oil and have clean faces when I reassemble.
    Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Going to do an oil change anyway so no oil should come out.

Banjo Banjo Banjo bolt anyone?

You have until the storm passes by before I would like an answer.

Comment

its a PIG of a job, took me 7hours
      i had to remove the exhaust downpipe - which was part of the problem as i had to saw a rusted bolt off, that took 1.5hrs

even then it was still awkward to get to that banjo bolt

i think removing the exahust manifold would help more - but i didnt want to risk any snapped studs/bolts
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Thanks Andy - In that case I will have to set aside more time.

I have bought a couple of manifold studs, all the gaskets and the new pipe. I guess I need to remove the manifold to grind the face flat as it is warped (see other post). Its due oil and filter change too. Now seems the best time for all of this.

From what you say this is going to require patience and time.

No more oil drips on the drive and no more exhaust blow.

Comment

here is my original thread on it

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...turbo+oil+pipe
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

Yeah thanks that's helpful. I expect the job to be hell but there are far worse.

I have noticed is all my toyota parts cost more than those quoted in the thread! inflation eh? £1 here 50p there!

Also if my pipe has not actually split I will have one up for grabs ........going cheap. Let you know how it goes.

Comment

Appears mine was just the lower gasket on the main pipe! Can you believe it? The one you can get to. Still took an hour to slide the gasket in neatly after cleaning the surfaces.

Time will tell if all is well.

How you change the whole pipe is a mystery. There is no room at all in the small entry areas between wheelarch and frame or around the front axle from beneath.

I pray its fixed or there will be hell!
              Thanks

Comment

i did all mine when i had to change the turbo and it was bad enough then let alone doing the pipe with the turbo in situ
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by toyotav84x4 View Post
                  Appears mine was just the lower gasket on the main pipe! Can you believe it? The one you can get to. Still took an hour to slide the gasket in neatly after cleaning the surfaces.
                  Erm No - I need to wake up. Looks like its weeping again!
                  must be a small crack where the pipe joins the flange - Typical. It will have to wait untill I do the manifold to head seating.

Comment

Hey This is an old post but It did help me in december 2011. Things I will say are:
                    Jack up front and remove drivers side wheel.
                    Remove Exhaust down pipe ( powerfull rattle gun helps)
                    Invest In a long spanner for the banjo
                    Go genuine for the drain pipe & gaskets
                    Use a good 1/4' rachet for the turbo side nuts
                    A little bit of gasket poo on the gasket face can go a LONG way
                    Prepare for a long day
                    And dont be shocked by the swearwords you create
                    (It is also a good opportunity to grease your driveshafts!)

Its a prick of a job But it is easily do-able.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by toyotav84x4 View Post
                      Erm No - I need to wake up. Looks like its weeping again!
                      must be a small crack where the pipe joins the flange - Typical. It will have to wait untill I do the manifold to head seating.
                      So here I am SIX years later after letting this drain pipe drip everywhere I go. Today I have the thing off. Turbo is still in place but had to remove the downpipe.

The only problem bolt is indeed the top end bango pipe fitting. Got to it with an extender bar and flex and 17mm socket going in though the triangle between the brakelines make on the frame - will make sense if you are doing this.....one day. Cracked loose like an oil plug would in the ali block - was amazed as this is all done blind and was about to give up. My blessing to anyone that does this job and I'm not religious: it is just frustrating although not the worst I have done. All the bolts get an oil as they come off so none were difficult to undo due to corrosion.
                      Tidy up and order some parts now then back out tomorrow to get the new pipe on. No time to do it all in one go!

Comment

Working...
                      X