solar trickle chargers and re-wiring the cigarette lighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar trickle chargers and re-wiring the cigarette lighter

OK - I really fancy the idea of a solar trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket - but unfortunately my cigarette lighter is disconnected when the engine is turned off.

can anyone explain what I need to do to to make it work when the engine is off?

If it's the one from Maplins just plug it in.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet View Post
      If it's the one from Maplins just plug it in.
      It won't work, the lighter's not connected when the ignition's off.

Just open the bonnet and use the little crocodile clips to attach it to the battery terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by murphcbr6 View Post
        OK - I really fancy the idea of a solar trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket - but unfortunately my cigarette lighter is disconnected when the engine is turned off.

can anyone explain what I need to do to to make it work when the engine is off?
        If I was you, I'd not bother. In bright direct sunlight (i.e. idea conditions, rare in this country), they provide about 1.5amps of charge.

I've been messing around with solar panels and using them to try to charge a car battery. I have a 20amp panel that is only just able to keep the battery topped up.

Is there some reason you need to provide additional charge?
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

the surf doesn't get much use over winter - I just need enough trickle to offset the drain that the alarm has on the battery - I don't need to use it to charge the battery up from dead as such - just to slow down the rate of discharge.

attaching the croc clips is not an option because i want to rest the solar panel on the dash and leave the truck locked up.

the best solution for me would just be to be able to use the lighter when the truck is all locked up.

Comment

If you put the clips on horizontally, you can close the bonnet. Just run the wire to the back of the bonnet, round the A Pillar and in the front of the door opening.

Comment

These two chargers are ideal for keeping batteries topped up.

I have used them on both my old motorhome and my bikes to keep the battery in good condition. They are a lot more reliable than a solar charger.

I am just about to buy another one to keep my surf and bike topped up.

With the surf I will be connecting it to the 12v socket in the back next to the volt meter as that is live even when the truck is off.

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/pro...ctGroupID=1039

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/pro...ctGroupID=2298
              Last edited by sv1000spilot; 4 March 2008, 20:37.
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

For what its going to cost for a decent size solar cell you could buy a optimate charger. These units maintain batteries to a usable level.
                Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

if you want to use a solar panel charger it might be worth while to wire another ciggy lighter direct from the battery via a fuse fix the lighter connector somewhere in or under the dash and then you can plug in your solar panel and of course you will always have a permanent 12v supply available at all times (loading is limited by the size of cable and fuse fitted)

Comment

I don't really want to wire a completely new cigarette lighter - I already have one and I don't smoke so I just want to modify the existing one so that it works when the engine is switched off.

I don't want to have wires trailing round the engine /round the A pillar etc - because
                    A) I'll forget its there
                    B) its extra hassle taking them off/remembering to put them on

I cant use an optimate because that would mean running a live mains cable outside to where the surf is parked and - thats not safe or feasible.

thanks for the alternatives guys, but is there anyone who can answer my original question - or am I to assume it just plain can't be done?

Comment

It can be done. Just get the wires from the back of the ciggy lighter and run them, via a fuse, to the battery.

Comment

and there's an added wrinkle

how to wire the batteries in to the ciggy lighter

this link to optimate highlights the problem...

http://www.accumate.co.uk/Wiring.htm

Comment

Originally posted by murphcbr6 View Post
                          and there's an added wrinkle

how to wire the batteries in to the ciggy lighter

this link to optimate highlights the problem...

http://www.accumate.co.uk/Wiring.htm
                          Surf batteries are in parallel; it's a 12volt vehicle.

Comment

Solar chargers are not worth a damm!! Get your self a Ctek Charger, I have one conected to my quattro in the garage. It's hard wired direct too the battery,which is under the rear seat. It also has a male/female conector this saves me having to lift the seat all the time, and when not in use the cable can be tucked under the seat out of harms way.

They are rainproof so can be used outside, and also come in various sizes. www.ctek.com

Ian.........

Comment

Originally posted by ian2144 View Post
                              Solar chargers are not worth a damm!! Get your self a Ctek Charger, I have one conected to my quattro in the garage. It's hard wired direct too the battery,which is under the rear seat. It also has a male/female conector this saves me having to lift the seat all the time, and when not in use the cable can be tucked under the seat out of harms way.

They are rainproof so can be used outside, and also come in various sizes. www.ctek.com

Ian.........
                              Ian,

His Surf is not in your garage. !

Comment

Working...
                              X