Deep Resonating Moan.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Resonating Moan.....

....coming from somewhere underneath Front Passenger's Side!! Just got back from a 300 mile trip from the Lake District - turned the music down and heard a low frequency resonating moan from somewhere underneath the front/mid section (with the odd Banshee wail thrown in for good measure!). At first I thought it was the Wheel Bearing, but now not sure as it doesn't change frequency when turning the wheel. This morning it was quiet for the first 5 minutes, then started up like a gentle wind howl, round about the 40mph mark - then it's almost continuous!! I can feel a vibration through the floor, also there's a metallic jangle accompanying it, (haven't run over any Salvation Army Bands for ages!!) - not from the Bronze Bushes, 'cos they've been replaced and silent!! Any Ideas?!!
    Better to be in Cumulonimbus than Cumulogranite

does it stop when you turn the fan off?
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

No, I turned the fan off this evening when driving home from work to see if I could pinpoint the source - and it didn't stop! Went to a garage to see if they could determine where it was coming from, but got to take it back in tomorrow so they can put it on the ramps to have a look. May be drive shaft area.

Comment

The deep resonating moan in my surf stopped when the Ex wife got out!
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

worn diff perhaps, that would whine and vibrate
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
            The deep resonating moan in my surf stopped when the Ex wife got out!
            That's the first thing that popped into my mind. Make the missus walk.

Comment

Is it manual or auto? Any play in the U.J's?

Comment

i have a rattle noise from underneath also. could it might be exhaust as worked loose somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm View Post
                  i have a rattle noise from underneath also. could it might be exhaust as worked loose somewhere?
                  Could be owt. It's a case of get underneath and start wiggling.

Comment

front diff bearings .......have you been in deep water ? whats the condition of the front diff oil??
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Cheers for that, guys - Garage unsure what the source of the noise is, but are going to start with the Wheel Bearing 'cos it's the cheapest?!! (so's emptying the Ashtray!!). When they did my MOT, they had to adjust the Wheel Bearing on the Passenger's side, so possibly it may be that. Will mention the Diff Bearings and oil - they found there was a bit of play on the Shaft, they also replaced the CV Boots recently. Taking it in shortly, so I'll mention all your ideas, ('cept the missus, 'cos I ain't married - the women I go out with, generally moan for another reason!!)

Comment

Garage have now come to the Conclusion that the noise is coming from the Off Side Diff - and not the Front Near Side Wheel bearing as originally thought - appears to be the only thing with a visual reference (ie play on the shaft). Diff Oil is okay, no Deep Water immersion, 'cept the usual large puddles strewn about the roads in this country! Is there anywhere that I can download a Schematic of the Diff Assembly. It's a Manual Gearbox, by the way.

Comment

you could try looking here hope this helps
                          http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/index.htm

Comment

or here
                            http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/downloads.php

Comment

After much consternation, I directed the Mechanic to check out the cheaper option first,(ie Front Nearside Wheel Bearing), rather than plough into the Diff. Low and behold, this is what it was!!! the Inner Bearing had discolouration and slight wear. Replaced Inner and outer Bearings, plus Ball joint and Upper Tension Bolt (they snapped it!!) - now, NO NOISE!! (so much for the Diff idea - still time tho!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X