Timing belt light on at 140000kms???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt light on at 140000kms???

I am assunimg my 3rd gen surf had a timing belt change at 100000 kms so why has the light come on at 140000 kms??? any one got any ideas.
    I have only owned it since it had 128000 on the clock, thanks

Originally posted by steve38 View Post
    I am assunimg my 3rd gen surf had a timing belt change at 100000 kms so why has the light come on at 140000 kms??? any one got any ideas.
    Do you know what mileage it had when it came into the country, they are often changed when imported ?

It's also possible the belt got changed in Japan due to the age of the belt.
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

timing belt

Not sure on the mileage as it was owned in the uk before me, think ill change it any way just to be safe

Comment

Not sure on the mileage as it was owned in the uk before me, think ill change it any way just to be safe
        It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

someone reset the indicator at 40000 and it has come on 100000 later.

if you get a genuine toyota replacement you get a special sticker to fill in with date and milage or km to stick to the cam belt cover.

rule of thumb is replace every 100,000 km or five years, which ever occurs sooner

Comment

timing belt

Ok thanks for the help, im gonna replace it anyway. Has anyone got any info on how to remove the dash to get to the reset screw?? and also when its changed over into the other hole do i leave it there or screw it in then put back in the original hole.
            Thanks for your help guys who needs a work shop manual eh!!!

Comment

Yep, replace it..When in doubt and all that. It's quite probable that the belt was changed at 40,000 as already suggested..The last owner of my rig would have had to kept it for another 41 years to have put the miles on the clock i've done in five..I had a sticker on the cover to say the belt had been changed at 29,000km or something similar..The reset button hadn't been, erm reset, so the light blinked on at 100,000..I had asked the dealer to put one on anyway, but on removing the cover he said it was quite obviously new so didn't bother..Your's has probably done 100,000 km since being changed at 40,000.

I can never remember if my 94 rig is a third or second gen, but I have a Toyota belt still sealed up in the shed..I'll not need it for another 90,000 km..It is five years old and for the KZ-TE..I'm not sure if the shelf life is an issue on an unused belt but if anyone wants it, just shout.

Comment

The dealer 'deleted' 60,000 miles for you before selling the truck.

Cynical? me?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post

I can never remember if my 94 rig is a third or second gen, but I have a Toyota belt still sealed up in the shed..I'll not need it for another 90,000 km..It is five years old and for the KZ-TE..I'm not sure if the shelf life is an issue on an unused belt but if anyone wants it, just shout.
                  If its a genuine Toyota belt I would be greatful for the belt . Mine is due to be changed next week according to speedo .
                  If yours is '94 with a fold down tailgate it is a 2nd gen.

Where in Norfolk is yea ?
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

timing belt

I had thought maybe its been clocked but hey most 2nd hand cars have these days anyway.
                    checked the belt andits all good but still gonna change it

Comment

Hi Vagrant..I'm in Market Shipborough, otherwise known as Swaaaafham..Consider the belt your's..It is a genuine Toyota belt, and the part number reads 13568-69085..

I'll actually be in the Downham Market area next week..If you want to PM your address I haven't got a problem in running it over to you, mailing it to you or whatever option suits you better..

Oh yeah, it's a second gen ..I've only owned it for five years

Comment

Working...
                      X