Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan question

Right folks, a quick question...

What are the pro's and con's of switching to an electric fan as opposed to the engine driven fan?

Do you really notice any differance in day to day driving?

Thanks in advance for any replies.......

I wouldn't have thought this would make too much difference with a grunty motor like the Surf's.

I did it with a mini 1300, and the power gain was fairly noticeable - bearing in mind it only had about 55hp to start with !!

Even if you lose the belt driven fan u still have altenator, steering, aircon and anything else I may have forgotten so I wouldn't have expected too many gains

Although if anyone knows different I'll be off to the Kenlowe shop tomorrow

Jim
    [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
      i think he means for cooling reasons
      I think there is actually no real good reason for going for an electric fan instead of an engine driven one, however as a backup they are a great idea. The main reasons given for switching to electric ones is an increase in economy, reduction in noise and more space under the bonnet (Electric fans tend to be smaller). An additional benefit which is a real one for modified cars is that they allow more flexibility in siting. Think of transverse engine cars with front mounted radiators - Fiesta for one. These wouldn't work without an electric fan.

For me a more viable mod would be to take the viscous one and throw it and replace with a normal mechanical connection type like a flexlite. The disadvantage of slower warm up time because the fan is always running is far outweighed by the reduced chance of something going wrong. I think I will also be doing the same mod that Koi has done, removing the temp sender wire from the fan and putting a manual switch in it. Actually I'll probably wire up a switch in parallel and use both the thermo sensor and a manual switch so that if the engine gets hot and I don't notice it then it will switch on automatically and if I want to pre-empt things then I can switch it manually.

Cheers

Comment

for all gung ho types you can turn the electric fan off whilst wading and not throw water over your engine.

And before everyone says they drive a diesel, think of your air intakes as well!
        '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyboy
          for all gung ho types you can turn the electric fan off whilst wading and not throw water over your engine.

And before everyone says they drive a diesel, think of your air intakes as well!
          i've got a snorkel! hehehe!!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
            I think there is actually no real good reason for going for an electric fan instead of an engine driven one, however as a backup they are a great idea. The main reasons given for switching to electric ones is an increase in economy, reduction in noise and more space under the bonnet (Electric fans tend to be smaller). An additional benefit which is a real one for modified cars is that they allow more flexibility in siting. Think of transverse engine cars with front mounted radiators - Fiesta for one. These wouldn't work without an electric fan.

For me a more viable mod would be to take the viscous one and throw it and replace with a normal mechanical connection type like a flexlite. The disadvantage of slower warm up time because the fan is always running is far outweighed by the reduced chance of something going wrong. I think I will also be doing the same mod that Koi has done, removing the temp sender wire from the fan and putting a manual switch in it. Actually I'll probably wire up a switch in parallel and use both the thermo sensor and a manual switch so that if the engine gets hot and I don't notice it then it will switch on automatically and if I want to pre-empt things then I can switch it manually.

Cheers
            Andy, Haven't actually removed the temp sender its still connected, switch installed in parallel like you say, can switch it on and off at will or let the sender bring it on.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

does anyone know the resistance to earth of the elec fan temp sender at cold, warming and normal temps, and the resistance at the point where the fan cuts in, i am thinking of fitting an inline resistor to lower the elec fan operation temp.
              [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
                does anyone know the resistance to earth of the elec fan temp sender at cold, warming and normal temps, and the resistance at the point where the fan cuts in, i am thinking of fitting an inline resistor to lower the elec fan operation temp.
                It is a switch, not a resistive temperature sensor. To lower the temp an temperature resetable fuse like the RS Components Prtnum 204-7449 or 204-7455 controlling an inline relay will work.
                regards
                Paul
                [COLOR=darkslateblue]Paul - NZ[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, So there is no real advantage to having one. I thought that it would give some more economy and take a bit of strain from the engine, therefore giving a bit more power.

Ah well, I suppose its a bit of money saved then..!

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
                    Right folks, a quick question...

What are the pro's and con's of switching to an electric fan as opposed to the engine driven fan?

Do you really notice any differance in day to day driving?

Thanks in advance for any replies.......
                    I can't speak from personal experience but have heard the electric fans can not draw as much air through the radiator as the viscous fan.

Neville

Comment

I Put a 16" Hi Capacity Pacet on mine and it got hot towing so off it came ! Saved a bit on fuel and made the thing smoother running though
                      Steve
                      ionic SURFactant

Comment

Checked my 93 2.4 and disconnected the temp sender..........the electric fan now runs when ign. key on, though makes little difference to temp guage or ( more importantly ) the touch temp of rad. still bloody hot

Pressure tested ok, new toyota coolant added, new thermostat added.

It just gets hot !!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X