Towing and weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing and weights

Hi, really hoping someone can help me with this.
    I've been trying to find the unladen weight, nose weight and maximum towing weight (braked) for my surf. I keep getting different figures? Some say max towing weight is 1700kg, others 2250kg?
    I have a 1300kg horse trailer and the horses weigh approx 450kg each so I really want to stay within the 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle. It doesn't seem to look good though
    thanks to anyone who can provide some answers!

amma

There is a difference between what the manufacturers towing limit is and what you can legally tow on the road. The manufacturers limit is usually set by a test of trying to pull away on a hill with a fully loaded trailer attached, whereas the legal limit is usually set as the kerbweight of the towing vehicle.

Caravan Club recommendations are 85% but 100% for experienced towwers with suitable vehicles. That said TonyN has regularly collected other Surfs for repair on a trailer towed behind his 3.0L Surf, so what it will actually pull is probably neared 2500Kgs. Whether that is legal or safe will depend on the copper who stops you or the VOSA inspector who looks at your vehicle on one of those vehicle checks that seem to happen more land more lately.

If you really want to safely pull around 2200Kgs then you might be better off with a Land Cruiser, as they are heavier than a Surf. Oh, and you don't mention which Surf you have. If it's a 2.4L then you could struggle to pull the suggested weight economically anyway.-
    Mike G

Comment

I had 4Runner KZN130 -94. Manufacturer permissed trailer weights are: 2200 kg with brakes, 500 kg without brakes. Max. vertical coupling weight was 100 kg in itīs towbar.

So 1300 kg trailer + 450 kg horses would be ok.

Comment

thankyou, its the 3.0 ssrx I have. I've always towed with the one horse on, never 2 and this trailer is also 200kg heavier than the last one so I really want to make sure I'm not going over the legal limit. Would like a land cruiser but its a bit out of my price range and i've had this surf 4 years now and love it!

Comment

Working...
        X