Occassional Big Puff of White Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occassional Big Puff of White Smoke

I have noticed whilst driving my '94 3.0l TD SSR-X Surf, an occassional big puff of white smoke from the exhaust whilst driving at speeds 50mph+, then no smoke whatsoever. It seems to occur occassionally under heavy acceleration (but not floored) when just backing off on the acclerator and other times at 1,750rpm at 50mph when just applying a slight pressure on the accelerator. 99% of the time I don't get any smoke at all, even when flooring it! It seems to be more noticeable during warmer weather. It is not steam, it is not black or blue smoke.

This evening it produced a big white cloud, large enough to engulf the following car, but it was just a static cloud hanging in the road i.e the engine puffed once and then there was no more smoke at all. I've noticed it do it once at constant motorway speeds, big puff then nothing at all......very strange.

The engine is low mileage, 73km, v.good condition. It is serviced regularly. No engine oil is being burnt/consumed. I put a can of injector cleaner through the tank 3 months ago. Fuel consumption is about 24mpg. The fuel filter may be due for a renewal.

Does anyone have idea as to what might cause this? Dirty/worn injectors (unlikely with the low mileage). Dirty fuel filter?

Martyn
    Last edited by Martyn; 17 September 2003, 22:00.

Originally posted by Martyn
    I have noticed whilst driving my '94 3.0l TD SSR-X Surf, an occassional big puff of white smoke from the exhaust whilst driving at speeds 50mph+, then no smoke whatsoever. It seems to occur occassionally under heavy acceleration (but not floored) when just backing off on the acclerator and other times at 2,500rpm at 50mph when just applying a slight pressure on the accelerator. 99% of the time I don't get any smoke at all, even when flooring it! It seems to be more noticeable during warmer weather. It is not steam, it is not black or blue smoke.

This evening it produced a big white cloud, large enough to engulf the following car, but it was just a static cloud hanging in the road i.e the engine puffed once and then there was no more smoke at all. I've noticed it do it once at constant motorway speeds, big puff then nothing at all......very strange.

The engine is low mileage, 73km, v.good condition. It is serviced regularly. No engine oil is being burnt/consumed. I put a can of injector cleaner through the tank 3 months ago. Fuel consumption is about 24mpg. The fuel filter may be due for a renewal.

Does anyone have idea as to what might cause this? Dirty/worn injectors (unlikely with the low mileage). Dirty fuel filter?

Martyn
    White smoke coming from a turbo exhaust alot of times means a
    turbo seal failure on the exhaust side. That is what heated and
    burnt (but uncombusted) oil looks like. Normally though it gets
    worse when used harder, does it do it whilst driving below the turbo revs
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Ian,

I don't know at what speed the turbo cuts in and out on the 3.0TD. If you can advise me I will check it.

Does 1,750rpm in top gear, at 50mph sound about right? (Automatic gearbox). I should mention that I have a Tacho which is reading high by 750rpm (another unsolved problem), so when it's showing 2,500rpm, it's really doing 1,750rpm.

Thanks,

Martyn
      Last edited by Martyn; 17 September 2003, 21:59.

Comment

Ian,

I don't know at what speed the turbo cuts in and out on the 3.0TD. If you can advise me I will check it.

Does 1,750rpm in top gear, at 50mph sound about right? (Automatic gearbox). I should mention that I have a Tacho which is reading high by 750rpm (another unsolved problem), so when it's showing 2,500rpm, it's really doing 1,750rpm.

Thanks,

Martyn
        should have a turbo light on the dash
        [size=5][/size]
        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

My car doesn't have a Turbo Light on the dash. I have a recollection that an old thread said that the turbo light was only fitted on earlier models, or the 2.4TD??

Comment

My car doesn't have a Turbo Light on the dash. I have a recollection that an old thread said that the turbo light was only fitted on earlier models, or the 2.4TD??
            yes, its on 2.4
            [size=5][/size]

Comment

Just a thought but try draining the condense water off the bottom of the fuel filter, it sounds like it maybe pushing some water into the engine with the fuel every now and then.

Maybe! - Rich.
              If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Working...
              X