Biodiesel Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel Blues

The surf gets a hammering daily - I live at the end of a potholed track and also use it to haul a heavy trailer, fill it with heavy loads, I'm not light on the right foot and overall it is a cracker. I've always destroyed my vehicles and was considering an armoured car but the surf has risen to the challenge nicely. When I switched to Biodiesel it ran perfectly - better even, until 1/2 way thro' the 2nd tank. The fuel was contaminated with some Glycerine and I think some got thro the filter. I was driving when the red engine light came on and the power dropped as if the ECU was cutting the engine down to 1/2 power. That was 2 months ago and since then I have:
    Flushed and drained the fuel tank, replaced the filter, blown the fuel line clear with compressed air several times, replaced the flexible fuel pipe to and from the injector pump, removed the injector pump top casing and drained and cleaned the interior (it was clean anyway with no sign of contamination) and cleaned the filter behind the temp sensor on the injector pump. It always starts perfectly, runs evenly and doesn't smoke a bit. Problem is I still have the same symptoms: When cold it runs OK and gives full power about 3 out of 10 times, after a couple of miles, the power dies above about 2500 revs and the engine light comes on. Occasionally the light doesn't come on and I am teased in to thinking the problem has gone until I hit a hill or hit full throttle when it dies all over again. My current thinking is that the ECU has a fault logged somewhere in its memory or that the real problem is not biodiesel / injector pump related at all. I am hoping that you are all having a good laugh out there at how simple the solution is - some way of clearing the ECU memory or something. The vehicle is a '94 3.0 litre model - the metallic grey one, - KZN??. Can anyone put me out of my misery and help me restore full power to the beast? Cheers m'dears

Originally posted by Andrew Ramsey
    The surf gets a hammering daily - I live at the end of a potholed track and also use it to haul a heavy trailer, fill it with heavy loads, I'm not light on the right foot and overall it is a cracker. I've always destroyed my vehicles and was considering an armoured car but the surf has risen to the challenge nicely. When I switched to Biodiesel it ran perfectly - better even, until 1/2 way thro' the 2nd tank. The fuel was contaminated with some Glycerine and I think some got thro the filter. I was driving when the red engine light came on and the power dropped as if the ECU was cutting the engine down to 1/2 power. That was 2 months ago and since then I have:
    Flushed and drained the fuel tank, replaced the filter, blown the fuel line clear with compressed air several times, replaced the flexible fuel pipe to and from the injector pump, removed the injector pump top casing and drained and cleaned the interior (it was clean anyway with no sign of contamination) and cleaned the filter behind the temp sensor on the injector pump. It always starts perfectly, runs evenly and doesn't smoke a bit. Problem is I still have the same symptoms: When cold it runs OK and gives full power about 3 out of 10 times, after a couple of miles, the power dies above about 2500 revs and the engine light comes on. Occasionally the light doesn't come on and I am teased in to thinking the problem has gone until I hit a hill or hit full throttle when it dies all over again. My current thinking is that the ECU has a fault logged somewhere in its memory or that the real problem is not biodiesel / injector pump related at all. I am hoping that you are all having a good laugh out there at how simple the solution is - some way of clearing the ECU memory or something. The vehicle is a '94 3.0 litre model - the metallic grey one, - KZN??. Can anyone put me out of my misery and help me restore full power to the beast? Cheers m'dears
    do a search for fault codes.you will need to bridge two contacts and count o/d light flashes,and these correspond to engine faults,but do a search and find the info

oh and btw take all the biofuel you have and pour it on a ramblers bobly hat and apply a match !!

and i would reccomend not using anymore
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse

I would suggest you check your fuel filter, it sounds like more muck may have got through.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Have you had the battery disconnected for >30 mins. recently? This resets the ECU.