slight niggles with my new 4runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slight niggles with my new 4runner

hi, just got back from picking my 1994 3ltr manual 4runner up, but found some slight niggles while driving it back,

1. when the engine is up to temperature and i start it up the engine idles normally but when i raise the revs up the revs drop back down to about 1250rpm at idle, is there a idle adjustment screw ?

2. the clutch sometimes doesnt seem to disengage properly as the biting point is very low to the floor, again is there an adjustment screw/bolt that i could try ?

apart from these faults the 4runner is excellent and worth every penny of £1250.
    any help would be great, thanks

Originally posted by newbie2
    hi, just got back from picking my 1994 3ltr manual 4runner up, but found some slight niggles while driving it back,

1. when the engine is up to temperature and i start it up the engine idles normally but when i raise the revs up the revs drop back down to about 1250rpm at idle, is there a idle adjustment screw ?

2. the clutch sometimes doesnt seem to disengage properly as the biting point is very low to the floor, again is there an adjustment screw/bolt that i could try ?

apart from these faults the 4runner is excellent and worth every penny of £1250.
    any help would be great, thanks
    theres an adjustment screw for both not sure where they are tho, but if clutch is that low sounds like it's on it's way out and there not cheap to do. and not really a diy job either

Comment

the clutch doesnt slip and bites strong, its biting point is just a little low.
      i thought that if the clutch was worn that the biting point would be high ??

Comment

if the clutch bites low the clutch is warn, i only know this as i had mine replaced about 3 months ago

Comment

i have just adjusted the rod under the clutch pedal and now the clutch is perfect, i just need to find some sort of idle adjustment screw now

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2
            i have just adjusted the rod under the clutch pedal and now the clutch is perfect
            Too much pedal free travel?

Nev

Comment

i wound the rod out a few turns to make it longer now the biting point is higher and it selects reverse much easier than it did, i had exactly the same problem with a nissan pulsar that i fixed in the same way although it was much easier to do on the 4x4 !

Comment

after using the tail gate window a few times ive realised that it isn't operating properly and sometimes when closing it only tries to close one side, so i will be stripping it all out tomorrow after reading the how to guide on the forum, cheers guys
                oh and i fixed my idle problem ,the choke was still on i just had to turn the knob anti-clockwise

Comment

Newbie 2 you are correct as a clutch wears the bite point gets higher the only time it would get lower with wear is if the clutch fingers wore or if the release bearing/mechanism went faulty.
                  ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by steved
                    Newbie 2 you are correct as a clutch wears the bite point gets higher the only time it would get lower with wear is if the clutch fingers wore or if the release bearing/mechanism went faulty.
                    not in my case it was'nt, it was low then it went now it's high

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                      not in my case it was'nt, it was low then it went now it's high
                      I think you should have a look at the clutch pedal adjustment as well. Even some mechanics don't have a clue when it comes to this.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                        I think you should have a look at the clutch pedal adjustment as well. Even some mechanics don't have a clue when it comes to this.

Nev
                        ah but this would be the good doctor so what are you saying nev

Comment

ah but this would be the good doctor so what are you saying nev
                          now it's high
                          I'm saying you should check it because you now say it is high. How much free travel do you have on the clutch pedal?

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                            I'm saying you should check it because you now say it is high. How much free travel do you have on the clutch pedal?

Nev
                            it all cool, it's been adjusted and it ok

Comment

Working...
                            X