One step closer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One step closer.

As some of you may be aware I have had some well documented problems with the engine on my Surf. New head etc incorrectly fitted and boiling over again. Two pressure tests, rebuild and still boiling over etc.
    Well the good news is I have managed to sell another vehicle to fund the Surf repair and I think I am going to just buy a warrantied second hand engine from Iezura on ebay. Has anyone had any dealings with them or recommend any other source for recon/second hand 3 litre engines. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Simon.

Hi,
    Sorry to hear you`ve had problems and I admire your patience with the truck. My advice is as follows: I`d be careful of any straight second-hand engine purchase. The warranty does not normally cover the labour bill- which would mean your responsible for fitting, removing, freighting and then re-fitting another one. The best option is to find a rebuilt one or a running one.
    Cheers, Chris
    Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonT
      .............................. ........ I think I am going to just buy a warrantied second hand engine from Iezura on ebay. Has anyone had any dealings with them.........

Thanks, Simon.
      I have purchased new parts from them and they were fine, can't comment on 2nd hand stuff though.

Comment

The engine is £950 inc postage with a six month warranty or £1125 with radiator turbo cambelt and filters. A guy in my village who has set up his own garage and has has a few Toyotas is going to fit it. The pressure tested head was damaged in transit and the garage did not check it on delivery and then closed down so I had the head pressure tested again and it still boils over after fitting so for the price of a head I might as well go for an engine and sell this head with all valves and cams cheap. It is a $$$$$$ expensive thing motoring.

Comment

i got my 2ed gen surf 3.0 ssrg for £1500 and had no probs apart from 22mph

Comment

Originally posted by rally_man
            i got my 2ed gen surf 3.0 ssrg for £1500 and had no probs apart from 22mph
            You only get 22mph!

I get 90 odd out of my 2.4
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The engine is £950 inc postage with a six month warranty or £1125 with radiator turbo cambelt and filters. A guy in my village who has set up his own garage and has has a few Toyotas is going to fit it. The pressure tested head was damaged in transit and the garage did not check it on delivery and then closed down so I had the head pressure tested again and it still boils over after fitting so for the price of a head I might as well go for an engine and sell this head with all valves and cams cheap. It is a $$$$$$ expensive thing motoring.
              So you pay someone to fit it. Engine could be worn/tired. You then need to pay to remove and return it then pay again for re-fitment. I doubt the supplier has heard or tested the engine. Very high risk.
              Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by andy62
                You only get 22mph!

I get 90 odd out of my 2.4
                Heh... I've had a ton out of my 2.4 (admittedly down a very very long steep hill... )

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinflight
                  So you pay someone to fit it. Engine could be worn/tired. You then need to pay to remove and return it then pay again for re-fitment. I doubt the supplier has heard or tested the engine. Very high risk.

as the man above says its a hit or miss situation , gary [wildthing]bought one when hes engine was fubarred seemed ok think he got hes from a place in barking [london ] through fleabay
                  have you spoke to stevo about rebuilding your engine ??
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Problem is I am in South west Scotland so I am bit too far to see Stevo. I think the majority of the motor industry can be high risk in my opinion. After all of the problems I have had with this engine I have lost faith with it. Two pressure tests on a new head and two replacement gaskets and head bolt sets is getting very expensive indeed. Isn't it also high risk going out and buying any second hand vehicle. I have just over a grand to play with to get the Surf sorted again bearing in mind I have also shelled out for a new head, 2sets of bolts and gaskets.
                    It must be great being your own vehicle mechanic rather than trust some of the cowboys who are allowed to trade as mechanics these days.

Simon.

Comment

Problem is I am in South west Scotland so I am bit too far to see Stevo. I think the majority of the motor industry can be high risk in my opinion. After all of the problems I have had with this engine I have lost faith with it. Two pressure tests on a new head and two replacement gaskets and head bolt sets is getting very expensive indeed. Isn't it also high risk going out and buying any second hand vehicle. I have just over a grand to play with to get the Surf sorted again bearing in mind I have also shelled out for a new head, 2sets of bolts and gaskets.
                      It must be great being your own vehicle mechanic rather than trust some of the cowboys who are allowed to trade as mechanics these days.

Simon.
                      yeah it must be very disheartning hope you get it sorted soon mate and for a reasonable price
                      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I'm going to ring Stevo tomorrow and see how much he charges for engines or rebuilds. On a side note I get a little bit of gas escape from the dipsick tube when the dipstick is removed and the odd fleck of oil on idle which goes away when you rev the vehicle. Toyota in Carlisle says this is normal. What do you guys think. I am useless with motors.

Simon.

Comment

Well, I spoke to Steve this morning and he was very helpful indeed. I now have a plan of action involving getting the oil pressure checked to rule out block problems and then I will get a new genuine head in January. That way I should be fingers crossed back amongst the Surf running community as at the moment seeing the Surf on the drive every day and not running is like have a gorgeous naked girl stood in your room who doesn't like men, frustrating!

Simon.

Comment

Working...
                          X