Water to Air Intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water to Air Intercooler

Has anybody built water to air intercooler to 1KZ-TE engine (non-ic)?

I think like this: http://lyhytlinkki.net/?9eg5xfss would be ideal in many ways. Only problem is that how to modify the intake pipe (aluminium) for the cooler.

This looks good too (Denco):

eat find give them a email to see if they fit are 3lts.also how do they work,do you have to fit to water system.????

Comment

Originally posted by rally_man
      eat find give them a email to see if they fit are 3lts.also how do they work,do you have to fit to water system.????
      Yes you do.

You basically have to build a second cooling system - a pump and another smaller rad fitted somewhere on the front of the truck (?) and all pipework and wire it in. And a method to keep it topped up.

Seems very complex for a slight gain over a standard air to air intercooler.

OK if you got a racing car, but you've got a two tonne truck!

Here's a pic of mine - been on for about 18 months, works really well and very simple to do (2.4 I know but the method would be the same)

Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I'll be gettintg a "Barrel Intercooler" soon. Those in the link look like a piece of junk and the price seems to confirm it. Too cheap!

PWR is probably what I will choose. Just buying the barrel and collect all the other bits that I need because it will be cheaper than a kit.

http://www.pwr.com.au/coolers_ltoa.html

Nev

Comment

so what advantage do you get with your home made cooler.wich looks good,do you have a vent in your bonnet

Comment

More torque, fuel economy - not sure - I get about 25 to 27mpg.

Keeps things a bit cooler as well, I suppose.

There is a number of intercooler wirte ups here http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/performance.htm

The first cooler article is my set up - lots of pics!

Bonnet scoop off an Isuzu Trooper

Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 17 December 2007, 15:49.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              I'll be gettintg a "Barrel Intercooler" soon. Those in the link look like a piece of junk and the price seems to confirm it. Too cheap!

PWR is probably what I will choose. Just buying the barrel and collect all the other bits that I need because it will be cheaper than a kit.

http://www.pwr.com.au/coolers_ltoa.html

Nev
              Thats nice looking stuff!

Me want! but not sure me need just yet.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Diy

Firstly I'd like to say hello to everyone on hiluxsurf.co.uk as this is my first post and would like to commend the administrators on an excellent site.

MaTTi,
                I've just built my own water to air intercooler for a 1kz-te out of a nissan skyline intercooler, a single core car radiator and a 12v water pump off ebay.

The skyline intercooler core was boxed in by welding aluminum plates onto either side of the core. Also one of the inlets had to be changed to suit the engine. The resulting water to air intercooler looks alot like the one in the link. Then I cut down the radiator and plumbed it all up. The 12v pump flows about 7l/min which seems to work. Keep in mind that you don't want high flow since the difference in temperature is low so the intercooler needs time to transfer its heat to the water.
                All up it cost me about $150 and a weekend of labour/cursing, and works really well in the Queensland heat.

Remember top mount air to air inter-coolers become inter-warmers at low speed since there is no air flow through the bonnet vent whereas a water to air intercooler has the benefit of a front mount radiator which has the thermo-fans drawing fresh air through it without the additional intake piping of a front mount intercooler.

I haven't got any photos or intake temp figures as yet but the engine temp on a hot day has noticed the cooler intake.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by traceandsteve
                  The skyline intercooler core was boxed in by welding aluminum plates onto either side of the core.
                  I know this is a cheap way of doing it but air/air intercoolers were not built to do this. Hope you don't get a water leak into the inlet anytime.

Nev

Comment

Surley the water will never drop below the temp of the air hitting the rad so a simple front mounted intercooler would be just as efficaint
                    Unless you can super cool the water. Other than at standstill I don't think on a surf the gains water to air has over air to air is worth the hassel

You could explore water injection systems if you fancied fitting a water injector after the turbo to cool the combustion this may give you what your after in a more usable fashion on a Derv engine
                    Last edited by yoshie; 3 January 2008, 17:03.
                    Brian

Comment

MaTTi,
                      I've just built my own water to air intercooler for a 1kz-te out of a nissan skyline intercooler, a single core car radiator and a 12v water pump off ebay.

The skyline intercooler core was boxed in by welding aluminum plates onto either side of the core. Also one of the inlets had to be changed to suit the engine. The resulting water to air intercooler looks alot like the one in the link. Then I cut down the radiator and plumbed it all up. The 12v pump flows about 7l/min which seems to work. Keep in mind that you don't want high flow since the difference in temperature is low so the intercooler needs time to transfer its heat to the water.
                      All up it cost me about $150 and a weekend of labour/cursing, and works really well in the Queensland heat.

I haven't got any photos or intake temp figures as yet but the engine temp on a hot day has noticed the cooler intake.

Hope this helps.

Steve
                      Thanks Steve.

Do you have any reseivoir for water? What radiator do you use for the cooler? Did you cut the intake pipe or how?

Take some pictures if possible. Thanks.

Comment

Firstly I'd like to say hello to everyone on hiluxsurf.co.uk as this is my first post and would like to commend the administrators on an excellent site.

MaTTi,

Remember top mount air to air inter-coolers become inter-warmers at low speed since there is no air flow through the bonnet vent whereas a water to air intercooler has the benefit of a front mount radiator which has the thermo-fans drawing fresh air through it without the additional intake piping of a front mount intercooler.

Hope this helps.

Steve
                        Hi mate, the top mount does indeed get warm quick, i fitted this fan on mine via a temp switch set at 40degrees (break) summer it comes on after only 10mins driveing and about 45mins winter and actually switches off when it's been running for about 15mins (winter) so it's seems to be working,
                        i had to fit a big scoop (subaru) tho
                        Attached Files
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                          I know this is a cheap way of doing it but air/air intercoolers were not built to do this. Hope you don't get a water leak into the inlet anytime.

Nev
                          Intercooler was pressure tested for leaks, just as any cooling system should be. I'm using an anti-corrosive additive in the water to stop the event of corrosion leading to leaks.

Originally posted by yoshie
                          Surley the water will never drop below the temp of the air hitting the rad so a simple front mounted intercooler would be just as efficaint
                          Unless you can super cool the water. Other than at standstill I don't think on a surf the gains water to air has over air to air is worth the hassel.

You could explore water injection systems if you fancied fitting a water injector after the turbo to cool the combustion this may give you what your after in a more usable fashion on a Derv engine
                          Serious off-roaders take their vehicles into places where speed is not an option, this is where the water to air intercooler stands out. Also water is a better cooling medium then air.
                          I toyed with methanol injection before the turbo but I got concerned with what would happen at higher boost levels, which is what I really want to explore with this engine.

Originally posted by MaTTi
                          Do you have any reseivoir for water? What radiator do you use for the cooler? Did you cut the intake pipe or how?

Take some pictures if possible. Thanks.
                          Having troubles with starter at the moment so no picys ATM.

The original intake pipe was tossed. A short length of pipe connects turbo to intercooler which has the inlet facing down. Then a new flanged pipe connects the intercooler to the intake manifold. The intercooler sits in the same spot as the KZN185/KZJ9* factory top mount intercooler.

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=

Serious off-roaders take their vehicles into places where speed is not an option, this is where the water to air intercooler stands out. Also water is a better cooling medium then air.
                            I toyed with methanol injection before the turbo but I got concerned with what would happen at higher boost levels, which is what I really want to explore with this engine.

Steve[/QUOTE]

I would worry that methanol or water before turbo would damage the impeller blades. Thats why I suggested after turbo. I take your point about slow speed
                            but I just play in the mud like most
                            Brian

Comment

I got couple of pictures of a custom intercooler for 1KZ-TE:

Looks good to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X