HELP !!!! Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !!!! Please

I changed my oil and filter on the weekend, took it out and all seemed fine to leaks etc, also drove to work yesterday with no problems etc.
    Driving to work this morning and as I reached the top of a hill the engine started to sound rough and cut out just a few seconds later, I costed into a layby with a dead motor, as I climed out I could see a river of oil behind the vehicle, I dipped the oil and nothing!!! I thought the sump plug had come out, but when we got it loaded on a lorry and back to a garage the sump plug and filter were perfect....we refilled the engine and it started but sounded as rough as hell and was poring oil out from some were behind the filter housing area, as yet we cant see exatly were it was coming from.
    Has anybody ever experienced a 3 litre Diesel Suf (auto) loosing its oil like this before? and have an idea where it is comming from?
    Any help appreciated as its my only car for work etc.
    Cheers
    Phil

this may seem silly but do you have the correct filter?
    try taking the filter off and double check it was installed properly.

Thats what i would do to start.

While you have the filter off try to take some pictures.

Comment

Have you cross threaded the spline, is the rubber seal on the filter?
      Have you killed the engine
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Yes filter seems to be fitting fine, took it off and replaced it. Its leeking behind it by the look of it. Plus it did not leek for a few days, I always check after fitting etc and thought it would have leeked before...there was not a drop on my garage floor before i went to work, it seemed to happen on the way to work very quickly. As it pores out...strange one,,,dam expensive to. probably a new big ends and crank regrind needed minimum..
        Thanks for the advice much appreciated.
        Phil

Comment

the car does nopt have an aftermarket oil sensor housing thing there,
          seen one of these on a surf before:
          http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...D&pcode=TRUOFA

Comment

No its not like that, I have owned the Surf for 4 years and done many oil changes with no problems before, could be just a coincidence that its happened just after an oil change as it run for a few days and done over 50miles up and down the M4 before the trouble...with no sign of a leek before.
            Was woundering if there was any unions or conections in the same area.
            Cheers for your help.
            Phil

Comment

The oil pressure sender is directly behind the filter, in the oil cooler housing, and right at the back is the blanking plug for the pressure relief valve. Wonder if either of these has spat the dummy out, never come across it before though.

Even the cooler housing could be cracked.

Had a cheap filter come apart before around the rolled joint at the bottom, but you said that was OK.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony,
                I just found a drawing of the oilcooler housing etc and can see what you mean, could be a few places there that the oil could be flowing,( gushing) from. I cant see the engine tonight as its over the garage, but will ring them tomorrow to get them to have a good look in that area.
                Cheers for that.
                Phil.
                PS Just been woundering how much a bottom end rebuild will be

Comment

Any idea who will work on one of these in the South Wales Area, I am close to Swansea. The garage I have it in at the moment does not have much idea about it....Need to sort it out one way or another soon as its my main car for work etc.
                  Cheers
                  Phil

Comment

It looks as if I will have to get a new/second hand engine, Can anybody recomend a good reliable supplyer? I have had a good few companys contact me but as they are all miles away I will have to take a risk when buying the motor.
                    I have heard there are some good engine importers so if anybody has used one of them with good results please let me know.
                    Cheers
                    Phil

Comment

What has the Garage told you ? As you need to find the cause before spending large amounts of cash.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Basicly its very hard to tell what the full extent of the damage without striping it, and that will cost even more and would still probbaly either need a lot of work or a new engine.
                        The worrying thing was the engine actually stopped as I was driving it, it did restart some hours later when it had more oil added, but its also making a horrible knocking noise..
                        Been quoted around £900+ for an engine and £600 for fitting it. As the car is only worth around £ 2500 at the most I am getting to the point were I might scr@p it...or selling it as it is but again not sure what I would get for a Surf with a knakered engine???
                        Not sure what to do, loved the car but these costs are very high for a vehicle of this age price etc.
                        Phil

Comment

Apart from the engine the car is in very good nic, does anybody have an idea what it would be worth? Its L reg, Black Has MOT unit Aug 2008, new A/T Goodrich tyres, towbar, undersealed no rust anywere, did 96k in Kilometers and 24k in miles since I owned it 4 years ago.
                          Cheers
                          Phil

Comment

engine

There is a auto salvage place in taffs well, can't remember what it's called its on the industrial estate next to railway station. they were breaking a N reg hilux a few months ago.
                            Last edited by smurfL6; 9 December 2007, 15:37. Reason: change

Comment

Originally posted by Bracpan
                              It looks as if I will have to get a new/second hand engine, Can anybody recomend a good reliable supplyer? I have had a good few companys contact me but as they are all miles away I will have to take a risk when buying the motor.
                              I have heard there are some good engine importers so if anybody has used one of them with good results please let me know.
                              Cheers
                              Phil
                              Here you go
                              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...QQcmdZViewItem
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X