update on my water loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on my water loss

Ok im still using or should i say the car is using over 1ltr day, i started the car this morning and i got loads and i mean loads of white smoke infact i was like steam comming from the exhaust, i was told that it is possible to have3 water leaking from the head and exiting without over pressuring the system or showing on a sniff test, is it possible???? the steam smoke does dissapear after the car gets to working temp but if its leaking and then sealing itself up when hot could be the reason for it, im still at a loss.
    if a politition is talking its lying

Originally posted by firefly
    Ok im still using or should i say the car is using over 1ltr day, i started the car this morning and i got loads and i mean loads of white smoke infact i was like steam comming from the exhaust, i was told that it is possible to have3 water leaking from the head and exiting without over pressuring the system or showing on a sniff test, is it possible???? the steam smoke does dissapear after the car gets to working temp but if its leaking and then sealing itself up when hot could be the reason for it, im still at a loss.
    If its a small crack the sniff test needs to be left on for 1/4 hour or more, especally as normally the cracks can close when cold, and only open enough to pressurise the cooling system after the motor is properly heated up after a run.

Once the cooling system is excessively pressurised and you turn the motor off, the pressure can push water out off the crack before it cools and into the piston area, and it'll pool up untill you start it giving the white smoke. I've know trucks put enough water in the bore to hydrolock it when trying to start it.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

what is the hydrolock Tony is it when the car struggles to start or turns over very sluggish as this is happening too and i thought it was the starter motor dying on me $$$$$$ thing is really driving me up the wall

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
        what is the hydrolock Tony is it when the car struggles to start or turns over very sluggish as this is happening too and i thought it was the starter motor dying on me $$$$$$ thing is really driving me up the wall
        To much water in the bore, you can't compress liquids, so the piston goes up till the water fills the combustion area and the piston can't go any futher, when cranking this feels like a flat battery, if there isn't much water, it'll get just about turn over than get ejected on the exhaust stroke, to much and the engine just 'locks' up, This is what happens when the engine swallows water if you don't have a snorkel. Hense 'Hydro-lock'.... water jamming it up. But if the engine is running and you dunk it in water, the sudden stop normally caused damage, while cranking on the key it just normally stops or hesitates as the piston gets to the top.

Sounds like you have deffo have head problems to me.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers Tony im going to give steveo a ring tomorrow as i need the car running not stood and to be fair i havent heard a bad word about him. just hope it sorts it out, we were even contemplating cutting our losses and getting a new car but we really do like our truck and its been a good car really,

Comment

ok got Steveo on the fone and its booked in week on wednesday for a new head after a long chat it looks like a classic hydrolock head leak, not exactly what i wanted just before crimbo but bugger!!!!! anyway hes assured me it will be like new afer its done so look forward to having my old truck running like a gud en again....

Comment

Working...
            X