Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look for info before I buy

Hi All

Been looking at info on this site for awhile now (thank all for the input) and will be looking to buy a Surf.

I will be looking for a 3.0l turbo intercooler 3rd gen. This will not be my first 4x4 had a pajero for a number of years. Sold it for a v6 alfa and now missing the weekends off road driving.

My questions are:

I’ve got between 5 to 6 grand to spend is this realistic for a good condition 3rd gen
    What if any are the common faults to look out for when buying this model.
    I take it being a big diesel it will be reasonable easy to service my self
    Any good dealers around Merseyside

Thanks in advance for any info

Originally posted by Nimda
    Hi All

Been looking at info on this site for awhile now (thank all for the input) and will be looking to buy a Surf.

I will be looking for a 3.0l turbo intercooler 3rd gen. This will not be my first 4x4 had a pajero for a number of years. Sold it for a v6 alfa and now missing the weekends off road driving.

My questions are:

I’ve got between 5 to 6 grand to spend is this realistic for a good condition 3rd gen
    What if any are the common faults to look out for when buying this model.
    I take it being a big diesel it will be reasonable easy to service my self
    Any good dealers around Merseyside

Thanks in advance for any info
    5-6K should get you a really nice R-S reg and the servicing is relatively easy, just remember your diffs aswell, and grease points.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another question I just thought of, which gear box would you recommend (auto or manual), or is it their both good and it’s down to personal preference.

Comment

Another question I just thought of, which gear box would you recommend (auto or manual), or is it their both good and it’s down to personal preference.
        Personal pref but i prefer auto because offroad you have better control of speed and traction, especially hill climbing cos you can speed up and the gearchange doesnt lose you momentum. e.g today in a sloping field long climb, if i was in a manual, wouldv had to do it all the way in 1st, but instead she carried to 3rd and 20mph.

Thats my opinion oh and theyre cheaper
        Last edited by The Lang-Shankit Scunner; 30 November 2007, 15:40.
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

we recently did some really extreme rock crawling in wales,and the guy with the manual box found it hard work. us auto boys just put it in the lowest range and drove over on tickover.

auto for me every time(and its a substantial box as well)
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Probable will go for the auto. The pajero was auto and never had any problems with it on or off road.

The main reason for going back to a 4x4 is for green laning at weekends and the odd short cut on the way home from work

Comment

Thanks Guys

Probable will go for the auto. The pajero was auto and never had any problems with it on or off road.

The main reason for going back to a 4x4 is for green laning at weekends and the odd short cut on the way home from work
              The surf is a far better looker than a paj will ever be, a paj with £3k mods looks 20% as good as a stock surf
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Thanks Guys

YEAAAHHHH. Short cuts rock!!!

Comment

Working...
                X