Wheel carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel carrier

Ok this sounds lame but does anybody else's spare wheel carrier knock like a b*tch every time they go over a bump.I know it sounds like a $$$$ poor problem with what are great trucks but its driving me nuts.

Can the catch be adjusted or is it play in the hinge?, The problem is if i swing on it when its parked i just can't see where its knocking.I suspect its the catch tbh. Any ideas would be great.

Also on a different note, ages ago on ebay i saw a kit that fits the back of a surf witch was like a little kitchen that turned into a bed, since then i haven't seen one anywhere.If anybody knows of one or has one for sale then please let me know.

Chippy

Originally posted by chippy
    Ok this sounds lame but does anybody else's spare wheel carrier knock like a b*tch every time they go over a bump.I know it sounds like a $$$$ poor problem with what are great trucks but its driving me nuts.

Can the catch be adjusted or is it play in the hinge?, The problem is if i swing on it when its parked i just can't see where its knocking.I suspect its the catch tbh. Any ideas would be great.

Also on a different note, ages ago on ebay i saw a kit that fits the back of a surf witch was like a little kitchen that turned into a bed, since then i haven't seen one anywhere.If anybody knows of one or has one for sale then please let me know.

Chippy
    open the hanger and try lifting it to see if it is the hinges but i would think its the lock itself.does it double click when closing it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

yep it double clicks and like i say when you swing on it its hard to see where its knocking.I grease the catch as much as you can but as you know it gets everywhere and you always end up with it on your clothes if you pop too much on.

Comment

Originally posted by chippy
        yep it double clicks and like i say when you swing on it its hard to see where its knocking.I grease the catch as much as you can but as you know it gets everywhere and you always end up with it on your clothes if you pop too much on.
        there should be a rubber grommit thingy that reast against the tailgate when the hanger is closed.That may need taking off and packing out a little to stop the vibration
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Try superglueing a small bit of cycle inner tube to the black C shaped bit the the catch docks into.

Comment

Cheers for the tips guys i'll try both

Comment

The rubber grommet ( stopper) that stormy is on about is adjustable. Slacken the nut behind it and screw it out till its hard up on the door when shut, then tighten up the nut again, JOB DONE

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

Several things can cause the wheel carrier to knock/rattle.
                As others have mentioned the catch and door stops can cause this on 2nd Gen models. However on 3rd Gen's the problem is more likely to be wear in the upper hinge of the carrier itself.
                HINT - Fill in your profile, or at least tell us which model/year surf you have, this way we can provide more accurate and helpful answers, well sometimes anyway
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I did no end of adjusting mine to try and get rid of that irritating clonk over bumps. I ended up finding the problem when I adjusted the catch to lift the carrier slightly and pre load it so it couldn't rattle. This made it worse. Thats when I found that with no load on it, the bottom hinge with a bit of play in it could rattle even more. I cured it by pumping grease into it. Open the carrier right out and you'll see an oil hole in the hinges, I held my grease gun against it and pumped till grease came out ends, messy but it worked, then cleaned it all up. Why they didn't put grease nipples on em I don't know, might tap and fit some one day.......
                  Anyway its a two by four most of the time....

Comment

no body mentioned the obvious...........Is the spare wheel done up tight??

Cheers
                    Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X