• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad starting 3.0

my 3.0L td wont start from cold glow plugs new desial filters changed

Originally posted by landyman2a
    are you allowing the glow plugs long enought to warm up enough before starting.Also try adding a bottle of redex to the fuel system to give it a clean thru
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

check the black flex pipe from the air filter ain't broken

Comment

yes i have left it longenough to heat and air filterpipe is ok

Comment

yes i have left it longenough to heat and air filterpipe is ok

If you have recently changed the fuel filter, then you probably still have a little air in the fuel lines, or air is getting in somewhere. Check all the hose clips are tight on the fuel filter .
          If air got in when you changed the filter, then it will work it's way through eventually. If it doesn't, then it's either leaking hoses or possibly a blocked fuel tank breather.

Comment

Would that be a 3.0 TD landrover then ?

Billy?
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

1991 Surf 2.4td

Originally posted by sledge
              check the black flex pipe from the air filter ain't broken
              I noticed the other day that my flex pipe has a crack in it. My truck is also having a hard time starting in the cold. What effect does the cracked pipe have on cold-starting a diesel? I`m just new to this diesel game, so I hope the answer to this question isn`t blatantly obvious. Thanks for the help.
              1991 Hilux Surf 2.4td
              2.5" exhaust, Cherry Bomb muffler
              Custom winch bumper, Warn 9500HS
              Boost Controller running 13lbs
              Dual Optima Red Tops
              K&N Air Filter

Comment

Bad starting

i took it to a landy mans place he sent the ECU away and repaired the crank sensor wires now starts every time..

check crank sensor wires for damage !!!!!!

Comment

switch on give it 10sec then off then give it another 10 sec. also when it starts if you get a little miss fire or a couple of lumps of black smoke the i would suspect glow plug's changed mine and two new ones were faulty. treat them carefully don't bang them about. also if your running on the cooking oil it dose not like the cold 50/50 derv in the cold.

Comment

Pre-heater/glow plugs

I was getting a bit teed off at the glow plug uncertainty of my 3 Litre Diesel Surf even after fitting new glow plugs.
                    The warning light comes on only for a second or so and everything else is guess work as to when, how long and are they even being supplied with power at all.
                    As the plugs are in parallel, if one goes bad, then there will be three still working which is more than enough to start the engine with no noticable problem at all.
                    I decided to sort the problem for good and leave nothing to the vagaries of the control unit, temp, or whatever else was in there.
                    I had a warning light £4.25 and a bypass press button manual heater override switch £4.50 fitted as follows.
                    Wire the warning light up to the heater rail so that you KNOW when there is power going to the plugs and for how long, as the standard light only glows for a second or so and is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
                    I wired the manual heater press button to the heater rail also so that I can decide how much heat and when to give it if all else fails.

I now can tell exactly what happens without having to listen for clicks, clunks or whatever it wants to do to try to guess when the heaters have worked.

When you turn on the ignition the heater indicator light comes on for a split second and this only tells you that the bulb is working AND NOTHNG ELSE, as it is not fed by the heater plug rail but something inside a timer,relay unit and has NO bearing on the heat or heat time whatsoever.
                    At this point you have to guess how long you think it needs and hope it has heated enough and then you try and start it.

My way tells everything.
                    You turn on the ignition and the original glow plug light lights for a second and goes out BUT the second indicator light which is fed directly from the glow plug rail stays lit as long as there is power going to the glow plugs
                    and you can then decide when there is enough heat in the cylinder, on a cold morning I find 25 to 30 seconds is fine and the engine fires INSTANTLY
                    If the temp is much below 0 degrees then you have the option of giving it a little longer and only experience will tell you this.
                    If you have a faulty relay timer unit you can then press the override button and heat it yourself as long as you like and to hell with the expensive built in
                    timer relay unit.
                    Once the engine starts you will see the NEW rail connected warning light remain lite for possibly a couple of minutes AFTER the engine has started if the timer/relay is working ok.
                    This is to give a bit of extra heat to a cold engine to make it will run and idle smoothly till it gets a bit of heat into its self and can run evenly on its own.
                    I did this because I was getting pi**ed off trying to guess what the heck was going in inside the electronic bits and decided that I wanted to be in charge of the heating cycles as winter is now with us and this way I am sure of a first time trouble free start every time.

(ps this may even help you vegie burners also as the extra heat should help the vegie burn easier with ther bit of extra heat)

I spoke to my friendly auto electrician and he tell me he would charge about £45 to£55 to do this and I think it is not bad.
                    My cost was a couple of hours including a couple of coffee breaks and a material cost of less than £12 in total.

I hope this is perhaps a help to some of you.

Regards and easy starting.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X