3rd gen - 18,5 to 20mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen - 18,5 to 20mpg

Been using my 3rd gen almost daily now since early September.

Just before this I had it serviced: new oil, filters, cambelt, aircon service, new brake pads and brake fluid change.

She runs like a charm - the lack of smoke out the back is almost worrying!

BUT: every 425kms/264miles (when the low fuel light comes on) I'm having fill up with a total of 60-65 litres

Thats a whopping 18,5 to 20mpg.

I've already read all the gags about how to minimise consumption - so they needn't be repeated, ta...

1) I mainly drive 8miles to work - in a bit of traffic (takes about 20mins)
    2) am Running 30% veg with ZERO startup problems (was 2 degrees this morning)
    3) the needle NEVER goes beyond 2500rpm.
    4) on the motorway I keep it on 2000rpm (63mph)
    5) run Goodrich mud-terrains on a low 29psi (harsh ride)
    6) always have O/D on and ECT off.
    7) have a Toyota safari bull bar fitted.
    8) I (only) weigh about 15-16 stone

Love my Surf (pics in thread below) and did not buy it thinking I'd get 50mpg but would not mind even mid twenties.

Would even drive her down to the famous TonyN to look at but I may have to remortgage first to get there!!

Any ideas on what would get me to the (normal) 3rd gen average of mid-twenties to the gallon?

Cheers in advance lads........

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ghlight=rooley
    ash-ssrg

Increase the tyre pressures to 30 or 32 psi, 29psi is a bit low for a mud tyre on the road (IMHO) and would make the tyre soft causing drag/less mpg.
    Veg oil does reduce mpg slightly too.
    Try not to use AWD ('cos you can in a 3rd gen) on the road too much as this will use more fuel.
    Air-con on will use slightly more fuel too.

You should be getting mid to late twenties mpg.

Comment

My first thought would be that your injectors might be a bit clogged. How many miles/kilometres has your truck done? Next time you're down to around a quarter tank, chuck in a full bottle of Wynns or Redex diesel injector cleaner stuff, and 'drive it like you stole it' for a bit. That should hopefully clean the gunk out of the system. After that chuck some more in every few months to keep it all happy.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

3rd Gen

My 4 Runner does app 18-21 but saying that i am not that slow a driver. Best i have had is 520 Klms out of a tank, but that was going app 60 mph on a long run , like to Devon.
        If i knew how to put picture of my car on here i would.
        Philip
        Still Searching,
        Dick Whittington

Comment

I think the tyres willl be making a difference. When I go from my BFG AT's on to the Insa's I lose around 5mpg
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

bullbar pulls you down 1-2mpg

i know cos when i removed mine, mpg has gone up
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

I too have a 3rd gen but run mine on 100% svo with a bit of white spirits and am seeing very similar mpg to yourself....i've owned it for nearly a year and a half now and think its the best car i've ever owned so, kind of live with the low milage which isn't so bad when running 100% svo.

But if you find a way of increasing your milage please let me know.
              Nut in a Truck

Comment

set the susp to HARD also helps stop pogo sticking effect when applying power.

HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR DIESEL LEAKS MATE. ??
                Last edited by internetsurfer; 18 October 2007, 18:37.

Comment

didnt a gen 3 owner on here say they were getting 35 mpg . not sure if even toyota got 35 mpg when they built the gen 3.

a 2003 on land cruiser 3.0 D-4D LC4 5d (6 Speed) only returns 31 mpg
                  Last edited by internetsurfer; 18 October 2007, 18:37.

Comment

milage sounds about right to me 425 around town mixed sort of driving or 525 if all on m'way

regards,

alex

Comment

I have an older L reg 3litre version, has Goodrich A/T's run them at 30 rear and 32 front. I am still on normal Shell diesel and have a 35 to 40min run to work each day half M-way half A roads checked it this week and I am getting 25.8mpg...
                      It drops to 21 towing a car tailer, and the best I have ever done was a very gentle run all M-way from Swansea to Bristol and back keeping it around 55 to60 and got nearly 33mpg.
                      I think if i did lots of local running it would drop quiet a bit.
                      Cheers
                      Phil
                      PS whats the ratio of White spirit in the cooking oil?
                      Last edited by Bracpan; 18 October 2007, 20:34.

Comment

Did a run each way to York last week - going up Sunday afternoon, stuck in traffic in London for the first hour, then M1 roadworks etc, managed 22.8 mpg.
                        Coming back the following Friday, straight run down the A1, 65-75mph most of the time, 27.9mpg.
                        Keeping it below 80 helps a lot, as did removing the bull bar. Air con on/off doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference, nor does H2/H4, although I can't claim to have done a comprehensive study...

EDIT: This was all on 75% veg, 25% derv.
                        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

3rd gen

just done 400mls on a tankfull when the low light came on, twice down the farm, 120mls round trip, some 4.w.d.playing while i was there, the rest around the wirral, not bad for such a big truck. cheers jim

Comment

I'm running 40% wvo and still seem to be averaging between 25 & 28 mpg
                            Have never let the tank get low enough to put the warning light on so i don't even know it it works

I'll soon know as we are driving from Stevenage to central Rome next weekend. (approx 1300miles each way)
                            Going down half loaded with 2 passengers and staying there for a couple of days.Leaving on Friday and hopefully making the delivery Saturday evening.
                            1 passenger will be flying back as soon as we make the delivery, me and the other half will be driving back after a few days

Cheers
                            Paul
                            Last edited by Artful_dodger; 19 October 2007, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Artful_dodger
                              I'm running 40% wvo and still seem to be averaging between 25 & 28 mpg
                              Have never let the tank get low enough to put the warning light on so i don't even know it it works

I'll soon know as we are driving from Stevenage to central Rome next weekend. (approx 1300miles each way)
                              Going down half loaded with 2 passengers and staying there for a couple of days.Leaving on Friday and hopefully making the delivery Saturday evening.
                              1 passenger will be flying back as soon as we make the delivery, me and the other half will be driving back after a few days

Cheers
                              Paul

mmmm ???? you sound like a secret agent with this delivery . Are you grey squirrel ?????

Comment

Working...
                              X