power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering

What the safest / easiet way to drain the fluid ?

Originally posted by horse_flesh
    What the safest / easiet way to drain the fluid ?
    I would remove the low pressure pipe, which should be the pipe that runs from the reservoir to pump.

Don't forget that when re-filling the system it must be bled.

Why do you need to drain the system?

Comment

i wish to drain and replenish mine as well and was going to do it from one of those pipes down by the searing box under the battery, figuring it would be easier to get to and get more out.

i was wondering if anyone knew how much fluid it takes,

the fluid in the top is cronically discoulered, obviously it gets hot and wears out and needs changing after a few years. hopefully the system will perform better with greater preasure and not blow any seals.
      Last edited by davemaxx; 12 October 2007, 20:01.

Comment

well, i put some stop leak stuff in it the other week but think i put to much in and now the steering feels a tad weird
        As well as davemaxx said the fluid is chronicly discoloured as well

Comment

looking at the resevoir this morning i might pull the upper pipe off and put it in a catch bottle and then run the engine and see if i can pump the old stuff out while poring new stuff in, when it starts coming out clean that should be it. it might also pay to have the front wheels off the deck and the stearing turned to one side so a steering box valve is definatly open so there is no restriction to flow,
          does this make sence?

Comment

Hi Folks,
            The Max Ellery manual says drain from the fluid pipes where they enter the box. To bleed it says jack wheels off the ground, turn from lock to lock until all air bubbles are gone from the res.
            The steering box I`m about to fit has a bleed nipple?? so if anyone has any more info. on bleeding the system.
            cheers,
            chris
            Powered by Toyota!

Comment

looking at the pipes from under the truck, therse a great big u-bend in both pipes running the width of the truck and then up to the steering box, so you aint going to get much out. only whats in the box.

does the manual say, open the bleed nipple and run the engin so it pumps out?

does the manual indicate how much fluid the system holds?

looking down into the resevoiur, there seems to be an anti splash plate thing and i have taken the top off when the engin is running and it doesn't brew over, i havent yet tried it with the stearing turned yet though, i'll have a look later in the week. i'm still pretty confident about pumping it out from up that end, but i doubt wether i can do it until mid week but will let you know how i get on, unless anyone comes up with how they did theirs.

i thought there would have been loads of info on this one becauses its a fluid change and it gets just as much a bashing as any other oil reliant component.
              Last edited by davemaxx; 15 October 2007, 00:04.

Comment

The manual doesn`t mention the bleed nipple, hence why I`m confused.
                Filling: The engine needs to be running when turning lock to lock.
                The manaul doesn`t mention the volume of fluid.
                Will be fitting my box tomorrow.