Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall I have a look at this one?

Hi guys!
    Still searcing for my Surf.... considering now a cheap 2nd gen as a 2nd vehicler. Found this one here http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...earch_full.y=7, the 4th on the page at £2295. What do you think and how much should it realistically cost for that mileage? many thanks... one day, soon, I'm sure you'll read a post saying that I finally got one!!!

Originally posted by Surf-wannabe
    Hi guys!
    Still searcing for my Surf.... considering now a cheap 2nd gen as a 2nd vehicler. Found this one here http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...earch_full.y=7, the 4th on the page at £2295. What do you think and how much should it realistically cost for that mileage? many thanks... one day, soon, I'm sure you'll read a post saying that I finally got one!!!
    that seems a good price on that.I would think that milage is in km's and not miles and would work out at approx 57168 miles.Find out if it's gonna be serviced etc if you have it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks, Richard... what makes you think that would be in km, rather than miles? It would be too good to be true AND only 7 miles from me!!

Comment

Thanks, Richard... what makes you think that would be in km, rather than miles? It would be too good to be true AND only 7 miles from me!!
        The speedo's will be in km's on all the imports.
        Quite a few people read them in miles and not in km's as it's an import.
        It may be in miles but i would reacon its km's.The speedo may be chipped to read in miles now but most of the milage will still be in km's tho if it is the genuine reading and not wound back.

Comment

Damn, yoiu must be right! Although I'm aware they are in kms, I never thought people wouldn't make the conversion which would give them a better sale ad in the end. Great! I'm at it then! Tomorrow! Or maybe I'll call him tonight! Any crucial questions I should ask apart from history, serivice, use...?

Comment

Damn, yoiu must be right! Although I'm aware they are in kms, I never thought people wouldn't make the conversion which would give them a better sale ad in the end. Great! I'm at it then! Tomorrow! Or maybe I'll call him tonight! Any crucial questions I should ask apart from history, serivice, use...?
            ask if its been off roaded and if so how hard.you want to make sure front and rear heaters are working plus everything else.If you take it for a test drive then take it out on some grass or loose ground and try out the 4wd to make sure it works ok,just check everything as you would for a normal car.

Comment

check back window works , exhaust especially from box backwards , 4wheel drive engages on button [h] and 4wd low works ,oil leaks etc , even if you do find some minor faults and you still want to buy it you will be able to barter him down ,
              ps do not show him you are over keen on it,
              joker [ the horse trader]
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Make sure the air-con works, if not get him to get it working or knock £100 off the price.

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                  check back window works , exhaust especially from box backwards , 4wheel drive engages on button [h] and 4wd low works ,oil leaks etc , even if you do find some minor faults and you still want to buy it you will be able to barter him down ,
                  ps do not show him you are over keen on it,
                  joker [ the horse trader]
                  Check ALL the windows, you wouldnt be the first to buy a Surf with a rear load space window that has been made functional by robbing the motor from a rear passenger window

Bogus
                  Last edited by Bogus; 6 October 2007, 20:57. Reason: Cos it sounded a bit stupid first time
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Thank you guys, made a note of ALL your advice and printed it out to take with me (yeah, I'm that much of a beginner with the Hilux). Now I only have to get this guy to answer... sent a text, no reply (bit late to call). Many thanks. I owe you big!

Comment

Thank you guys, made a note of ALL your advice and printed it out to take with me (yeah, I'm that much of a beginner with the Hilux). Now I only have to get this guy to answer... sent a text, no reply (bit late to call). Many thanks. I owe you big!
                      at least there are 2 3.0l's you can go for there and they both look ok on the write up's so good luck

Comment

Damage after viewing

Just saw the truck in question and took these pictures, here.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/clever-tulips/
                        Very low mileage but not really looked after. So: apart from what you can see in the pics, it has a terrible sag on right rear wheel only (may indicate something different?).
                        The engine did not start easily and when it did there was a mass of white-greyish smoke that stank like hell. Very good sound on the running engine though.
                        At least rear section of the exhaust needs changing: it's loose.
                        Wet areas in the pics - what are those (especially the one underneath).
                        All electrics work.

Therefore - what's the damage, how really serious and how much? Not sure if I really want it now, but would appreciate your knowledge on this so that I can learn for my next viewing.

Comment

The sag is probably jst needing new springs and maybe shocks.is there any wet oil water patches on the floor under the truck.The white smoke on start up might just be where it's stood idle for a bit and not started,but a good service with a bottle of redex should help to cure that a bit.

Comment

If you have any doubts, ( and it looks like you have ) then walk away. Youre not long from needing around 150 squid for exhaust. Youre probably needing rear springs, possibly shocks, just start adding up all the little bits and its looking less of a bargain.
                            I,ll be selling mine soon, and will be looking for more money than that, but mine has a new exhaust. 3 of the tires are new, its been oiled, greased and fed when it needed it, its got a suspension lift, steering geometry has been checked, the batteries are only a few months old, its clean tidy and would look good in a showroom, its taxed till July 2008, so a buyer could drive off and simply wonder what he could do to mod it and make it better. There are plenty of others like mine around. Looks like this one is not THE ONE. It would have to much more of a bargain than that to make it a good buy. Keep searching.

Bogus
                            Сви можемо

Comment

Precisely my thoughts... I've walked away already, so will keep looking. THanks guys. Am also considering now a Hilux pickup as a 2nd vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X