knocking part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knocking part 2

story so far.......last sunday car overheated off the thermometer scale...came off the m,way allowed to cool down filled up with water and limped home but noticed a slight rattling sound that sped up with revs....monday did engine flush oil and filter change.....started up rattling a little louder....tuesday went to work 12 miles away rattling got louder and louder...limped home again turning heads all the way...oil colour is normal and general running of engine feels smooth apart from the regular rattling/knocking sound u guys any ideas what the problem is??

Originally posted by hally
    story so far.......last sunday car overheated off the thermometer scale...came off the m,way allowed to cool down filled up with water and limped home but noticed a slight rattling sound that sped up with revs....monday did engine flush oil and filter change.....started up rattling a little louder....tuesday went to work 12 miles away rattling got louder and louder...limped home again turning heads all the way...oil colour is normal and general running of engine feels smooth apart from the regular rattling/knocking sound u guys any ideas what the problem is??
    i might be wrong but from what you are saying i reacon your turbo is gone.You have the same symptoms as i had back in December as i said in your other thread.You can get a 2nd hand turbo for the 2.4's easy enough and that is a CT20 turbo
    The turbo for a 3.0l is like rocking horse poo to get hold of 2nd hand and is a CT12B turbo.I was in touch with a guy in Japan that can supply The turbo for the 3.0l for about £550 delivered and that was new.If you need his contact details let me know

You can also get your turbo reconned for about £500
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

silly question i know but will it run without the turbo on?

Comment

Dude, put your engine details in your profile under your user name, you will faster responces in future!

p.s. I'm guessing your big ends are on the way out, but impossible to tell without hearing it.

Comment

Originally posted by hally
          silly question i know but will it run without the turbo on?
          it will run but you don't really want to run it for long like it if it is the turbo as it could cause major damage if it lets go completely.I used mine locally for 2 days when mine went and in the end i had to take it off the road as the noise was terrible.
          If the turbo is sounding like a tin of nails the i would say its gone but you would need to see if there is any play in the shaft inside to know for sure
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Dude, put your engine details in your profile under your user name, you will faster responces in future!

p.s. I'm guessing your big ends are on the way out, but impossible to tell without hearing it.
            Normally big ends will result in a drop in oil pressure as well, It could also be a little end if it's got really hot and bothered.
            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Take my ADVICE & get STEVO to have a LOOK/LISTEN
              0161-476-6144
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
              X