transfer box white oil????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer box white oil????

i have a kzn 185 which i recently had serviced - the oil in the trasfer box was white ( looked emulsified ) but not foamy - i had the oil replaced but checked it again today 5,000 miles later and again it was white

anyone any ideas?

Regards,

alex

Originally posted by _cj_
    i have a kzn 185 which i recently had serviced - the oil in the trasfer box was white ( looked emulsified ) but not foamy - i had the oil replaced but checked it again today 5,000 miles later and again it was white

anyone any ideas?
    Are you using the correct oil type? Is water able to get to it from anywhere?
    Regards,

alex
    have you put in the correct oil? and can water get to it in any way at all?
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Let it settle in the bucket for a while and see how it looks. It could be aerated without appearing foamy and if thats all it is it will settle out and take on the appearance of oil.

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

i dont think it would be that - i didnt drive anywhere yesterday and teh the mechanic is olny 50 yrds away - no idea how water could get in there either ?????

regards,

alex

Comment

It sounds like you have a leak between the engine cooolant compartment of your radiator and the transmission oil cooler compartment. I have heard of this happening on a Landcruiser before, although the coolant should look like pink blancmange with water in it.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

i had this on a rear diff, and decided to change it the following week, only to find that the water had dispersed when hot.

check it again when its hot.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              It sounds like you have a leak between the engine cooolant compartment of your radiator and the transmission oil cooler compartment. I have heard of this happening on a Landcruiser before, although the coolant should look like pink blancmange with water in it.
              Wouldn't that only affect the auto box oil? The transfer box is seperate isn't it?
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

yep transfer box not transmission

regards,

alex

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                  Wouldn't that only affect the auto box oil? The transfer box is seperate isn't it?

Yeah, totally seperate from the transmission/gearbox.

Comment

Doh! I must put my glasses on when reading posts.

Sounds like you have been wading. Might be a good time to fit breathers.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

yep i wondered about that as well - but i cant say i've been through any deep water in the last 5,000 miles ??? would a blocked breather cause these symptoms??

Regards,

alex

Comment

bttt

anyone else got any ideas??

regards,

alex

Comment

Originally posted by _cj_
                          yep i wondered about that as well - but i cant say i've been through any deep water in the last 5,000 miles ??? would a blocked breather cause these symptoms??

Regards,

alex
                          a blocked breather would cause the oil to leak from the output seals.are you sure you are using the correct grade of gear oil????
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

i'll check

Comment

the puney little spring in the breather could be rusted up, leaving the breather in an open position, so condensation and water occures, casing the oil to discoluer, like mine did. if yours is the same you won't blow any seals because you won't get any pressure when the oil heats and expands, but water vapor will escape. new ones are about 4 quid from milners.

Comment

Working...
                              X