1995 3.0 td 4 runner comming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 3.0 td 4 runner comming soon

Hello all - very first post - you guys sure love your surfs!!

Due to take delivery of a uk model 1995 3.0 td 4 runner manual. Full Toyota S/H and about 148 k on the clock. In very good condition apart from one paint blister on front wing and the usual tailgate and sun roof not working. Previous owner had for 10 years and it has been looked after so fingers crossed I am hoping for some reliabillity confidence (lacking a bit in the previous vehicles) and cheaper spares. I did hate having to loosen my trousers belt off before a visit to the local Jeep dealer!!

My previous trucks have been a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 on LPG and Ford Explorer on LPG so this is my 1st Toyata and 1st diesel and not owned a manual for the past 6 years however driven the wifes so apart from remembering there is a clutch when approaching junctions should be ok!

Looking forward to getting my hands on it and have spent a number of hours going through this forum which is brill.

Now for a few newbie questions:

1) What are the fundamental differences between the 4runner and surf. The obvious is time spent in uk climate, corrosion etc but this one does appear to be clean. Is it worth getting it wax oiled at this late stage?

2) I think its a GX but what is the difference between this and the GS?

3) Will it have a soft/hard ride switch?

4) No air con so need to get sun roof fixed. Plenty of mails on subject and looks like taking the headlining down should reveal all? Am I right in thinking it will either be motor, drive or operating belts/wires? Which ever it is where do I source replacement parts?

5) Really fancied a post 96 model with AC etc however to date most have seemed over priced especially trade sales so think this will be a good taster until the right one comes along (the wife is already making noises on the potential of a hand-me-down as she is buying a 1 horse power toy so will need something for those farm tracks). Are the pre 96 and post 96 really that different a vehicle and drive? and if I like owning and driving the 4runner will the next be that much better?

6) Been use to ABS dont think the 4runner has this fitted?. Has helped me out a couple of times in the Jeep. Whats the breaking like without.

7) Only had a shortish test drive but the 3.0 td seemed quite capable but obviously not as smooth as a 4l petrol. Being my first diesel truck what other major differences will I notice. Will my driving style change significantly?

8) There are a number of threads relating to towing. I am concerned about the effect of towing a horse box. What is the issue over towing in 5th gear. Does this mean towing is good but not to go above 4th?

9) Would you advise adding the odd litre of veggie oil for lubrication purposes? Would you advise adding more than the odd litre?? I am sure it hasn't been run on veggie oil in the past and I am informed it has been a reliable vehicle so would not want to disrupt that.

10) Thinking the truck would benefit from running boards and a nice tactile stearing wheel. Anyone local out there got any for sale?
    Dash trim kits - Y or N?

11) Is there many owners in the Leicester area available for brain picking??

Sorry for so many questions (some of which are probably stupid or have been asked a hundred times before) but your responses would be appreciated.

Originally posted by hilly64

Due to take delivery of a uk model 1995 3.0 td 4 runner manual. Full Toyota S/H and about 148 k on the clock. In very good condition apart from one paint blister on front wing and the usual tailgate and sun roof not working. Previous owner had for 10 years and it has been looked after so fingers crossed I am hoping for some reliabillity confidence (lacking a bit in the previous vehicles) and cheaper spares. I did hate having to loosen my trousers belt off before a visit to the local Jeep dealer!!

My previous trucks have been a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 on LPG and Ford Explorer on LPG so this is my 1st Toyata and 1st diesel and not owned a manual for the past 6 years however driven the wifes so apart from remembering there is a clutch when approaching junctions should be ok!

Looking forward to getting my hands on it and have spent a number of hours going through this forum which is brill.

1) What are the fundamental differences between the 4runner and surf. The obvious is time spent in uk climate, corrosion etc but this one does appear to be clean. Is it worth getting it wax oiled at this late stage?

The Japs tend to have a few more toys, and the Jap owners tended to raid the Options catalogue

Sorry I cannot help on this one
    Sorry I cannot help on this one
    4) No air con so need to get sun roof fixed. Plenty of mails on subject and looks like taking the headlining down should reveal all? Am I right in thinking it will either be motor, drive or operating belts/wires? Which ever it is where do I source replacement parts?
    Keep an eye on surf breakers, there are a few here
    5) Really fancied a post 96 model with AC etc however to date most have seemed over priced especially trade sales so think this will be a good taster until the right one comes along (the wife is already making noises on the potential of a hand-me-down as she is buying a 1 horse power toy so will need something for those farm tracks). Are the pre 96 and post 96 really that different a vehicle and drive? and if I like owning and driving the 4runner will the next be that much better?
    The post 96 trucks have a different 4x4 system (can be used on tarmac) - they also come with curling tongs and crimpers
    6) Been use to ABS dont think the 4runner has this fitted?. Has helped me out a couple of times in the Jeep. Whats the breaking like without.
    It's not too bad, but you do need to remember you are driving a 2 ton truck, it will not stop like an MX5
    7) Only had a shortish test drive but the 3.0 td seemed quite capable but obviously not as smooth as a 4l petrol. Being my first diesel truck what other major differences will I notice. Will my driving style change significantly?
    I have found I tend to drive a wee bit more laid back
    8) There are a number of threads relating to towing. I am concerned about the effect of towing a horse box. What is the issue over towing in 5th gear. Does this mean towing is good but not to go above 4th?
    I haven't towed so no clue - sorry
    9) Would you advise adding the odd litre of veggie oil for lubrication purposes? Would you advise adding more than the odd litre?? I am sure it hasn't been run on veggie oil in the past and I am informed it has been a reliable vehicle so would not want to disrupt that.
    I run hippo on veg and have done for several years
    10) Thinking the truck would benefit from running boards and a nice tactile stearing wheel. Anyone local out there got any for sale?
    Dash trim kits - Y or N?
    Running boards should be available from the breakers here, or from the active offroad nuts , Fleabay for steering wheel ?
    Here's your dash kit

Yep there are some owners in that neck of the woods

Sorry for so many questions (some of which are probably stupid or have been asked a hundred times before) but your responses would be appreciated.
    Welcome to the nuthouse

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Think UK 4runners had the chasis painted to cope with the climate here. Jap surfs had lots more toys than their UK relations.

I guess you're reffering to trim levels, not too sure what the differences would be sorry.

depends on the trim level, if it does the switch will be on the right of the stearing wheel under the air vent

Try those who are breaking surfs, look up companies called Milners or Roughtrax too they may help. If not I'm sure a local sunroofing company would have parts

3rd gen (post'96) surfs are built around a different chasis to the 2nd gen. The 3rd gen has central differential so you can use 4wd on tarmac without breaking your transmission. 3rd gen owners get the mick taken out of them on here too

Never had a car with ABS yet. But never seen it as a problem

Well now you're in a surf, then you'll have a cheery grin on your face a lot more The 3ltr diesels are still quick trucks 128 Horsepower. Prefer to plod along with my 2.4 though

maximum breaked towing load is 2200Kgs on a 3ltr diesel manual 2nd gen

Mine happily runs on veggie and since I've had a fuel heater I'm on 100% veggie a lot of the time. You're best bet is to put about 10 litres of veg in with a full tank and see how it behaves. If all works well then increase the amount of veggie by 5 litres the next time you fill up. I wouldn't go as far as half a tank though with the colder weather coming in now. Veg oil is less viscous than diesel so it will put a bit more strain on your fuel pump. And starting from cold will be lumpy. If it gets too much of a problem then reduce the amount of veggie.

Dash trim kits - Y or N?

try people who are breaking surfs or Roughtrx. Ebay is good too now and then

I'm sure there'll be some local to you, if not then there is a wealth of info on here

If you want some more info and technical specs then try here http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_general.htm#tech
      Welcome to the forum
      we got fun and games
      We got everything you want
      Honey we know the names
      We are the people that can find
      Whatever you may need
      If you got the money honey
      We got your disease
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

I'm not sure that wax oiling would have a great effect if any corrosion has taken hold, your call really. As trev said the Japs tend to raid the option catalogue

errr. ask me one on sport.

errr. ask me one on sport.

check the obvious bits first (fuse and switch)

if you buy a later model get a surf (with the full vidal sasoon pack

easy boy! I find my 3ltr surf is ok once you realise the truck weighs 2 tonnes, it also depends on the tyres (ask the driver of the focus who decided to stop infront of me!)

that depends, I tend to be a bit lighter on the gas, still can embarrass some people at the lights though

My Auto seems to tow well enough, caravan is fairly light though, although had a twin axle trailer with another surf on it once, towed that reasonably well but struggled on hills. As regards the manual one a friend o mine has a 2.8 pickup with Huuuuuuuuuge wheels on, he can normally tow in 5th gear until he comes to a biggish hill

hmmm i've been looking into this one for a while & still to take the plunge! Seems that people say get yourself a spare fuel filter as the veggie seems to dislodge all the crud from the tank. oh and don't forget to keeps records of what you use for gordon!

Dash trim kits - Y or N?

any why not!

I don;t know i'm in hafilax!

oh and welcome to the madhouse
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

You lot are so quick

thanks for quick response.

The issue over towing is not so much about the weight but I am sure I read somewhere that you can damage the box towing in 5th??

now understand rear window works if helped so hopefully full service and grease will do the trick. Got some plumbers silycone grease - would this be good to apply to runners etc or is there a standard recognised lubrication regiem as a fix

what does the soft/hard ride do if fitted?

still need to sort sunroof I guess as he did say he heared a clunk just before it stopped working.

.............................. ............

Have chased the seller and delivery is iminent! can't wait - seem to be more excited over this very reasonably priced potential work horse than some more expensive vehicles I have owned. Hope it lives up to my expectations!!

.............................. ...............

Comment

welcome to forum,

I have a UK 4runner, bought it around 3 yrs ago, when it had 138k miles on clock, now 165k miles,

I got body work repaired and resprayed around door bottoms and near back wheel arches when i bought it as rusty, the front wings had been recently replaced.
            chassis and underneath pretty rusty, but i waxoild it anyway, but it hasnt lasted that well.
            its spent its life in Scotland though, on salty roads in winter....

mechanically, I have replaced a fair number of bits, but mainly becuase i wanted it perfect and enjoy the hobby of working on it, it wouldnt have failed MOT on mosy things i changed,
            only major thing has been a leaking turbo oil feed pipe,
            and replaced the tailgate with a 2nd hand one off Sparky on this forum, as original was getting very rusty at top

our 4runner doesnt have ABS, aircon or hard-soft adjustable suspension shocks,

things the 4runner does have, which the surfs may not, are LSD rear diff, but I doubt it works properly anymore in the 4runner you are looking at, as the clutch packs wear out around 60k miles, it doesnt work properly on my truck
            they also have heated fuel filter - only activates if fuel very cold

think ours is a GX, so would have alloys, sidesteps

ours has an aftermarket sunroof, not toyota, it wasnt working when we got it, but i fixed some broken plastic parts inb the runner assmebly and it works enough to tilt the glass up now, but not slide back
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

what does the soft/hard ride do if fitted?

It limits the amount of bounce you feel from the suspension. If you put it onto hard I've found I can go into a corner and not roll as much

.............................. ............

Have chased the seller and delivery is iminent! can't wait - seem to be more excited over this very reasonably priced potential work horse than some more expensive vehicles I have owned. Hope it lives up to my expectations!!

enjoy your surfing

Comment

thanks Andy & Captain

the body on the one i am getting looks pretty good but think it has been garaged alot.

good to know everything is doable

got after market alloys (perfect) and an A Bar but no side/running boards?

Like the idea that it appears you can get at everything relatively easily for maintenance unlike some. (You can't even reach the spark plugs on the explorer without great difficulty!)

Whats the implications of the LSD working or not as the case maybe? why only on non imports?

have you attempted the turbo washer thing to improve output?

CAPTAIN - out of interest how does the ride hardening work then and is it only imports that have it fitted?

Comment

CAPTAIN - out of interest how does the ride hardening work then and is it only imports that have it fitted?
                  I have no idea how it works, I've not read that part of the workshop manual yet sorry. But I'm sure one of the more learned members will explain, so we can both learn something new

Comment

the body on the one i am getting looks pretty good but think it has been garaged alot.

Whats the implications of the LSD working or not as the case maybe? why only on non imports?
                    If the LSD is working (its in the rear axle differential) it means, in theory, if one back wheel looses traction e.g. mud, ice, snow, instead of spinning and stealing all drive and therefore traction from the the other wheel on axle (as in a standard car "open diff", it should transmit some torque to the wheel that still has grip, and help you drive off
                    if its not working, the diff will act like a normal "open diff", and truck wont go anywhere when in 2wd and one wheel has no grip.
                    even though its worn out in my 4runner, i can still get around in the slippery stuff using 4wd

some imports do come with LSD, but it wasnt a standard feature like it was with the UK spec 4runners,
                    Landcruiser Colorado
                    Sub. Forester

Comment

Lsd?

thanks for that

so going back to your original reply to my thread is it almost certain that this function will not be operational on a 4runner that has done say 140k miles?

did you bother to get yours repaired or does it not really effect general driving

Comment

Hey Hilly,

Have you seen post 2 here ?

Trev

Comment

>>thanks for that

>>so going back to your original reply to my thread is it almost certain that >>this function will not be operational on a 4runner that has done say 140k >>miles?
                          Probably wont function properly anymore, if one of back wheels on mud,snow, wet grass and other on grippy surface and it can drive off in 2wd with minimal wheel spin then its ok,

>>did you bother to get yours repaired or does it not really effect general driving

no havent bothered with replacing the worn out clutch plates, due to cost and age of vehicle and 165k miles on clock. It doesnt really effect general driving. if rear diff died e.g. teeth stripped etc or other big failure I would replace it with a gear-driven truetrac LSD diff as these probably last much longer than the toyota clutchplate LSD
                          Landcruiser Colorado
                          Sub. Forester

Comment

previous post

hey great thanks for drawing my attention to that

have posted a reply, does that work or should I be emailing someone?

Is there any protocols here and can memebers be contacted direct?

thanks also for info on diffs will have to have a play!!

Comment

hey great thanks for drawing my attention to that

have posted a reply, does that work or should I be emailing someone?

Is there any protocols here and can memebers be contacted direct?

thanks also for info on diffs will have to have a play!!
                              No problem, I have sent the dozy Poomeister a PM to wake him up

Comment

Working...
                              X