Worrying noise 'take 2'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worrying noise 'take 2'

Due to unforseen circumstances (mainly not being able to count!) I am running on near 100% veg oil at the moment with no modifications...

This morning, on starting and at idle there was a sort of clattery type sound, a bit like an old peugeot diesel sound (or bad pinking in a petrol car). On acceleration it went away, and after warming up, the noise didn't return. Is this a side effect of veg (it was pretty cold this morning) or something more sinister.

I checked for loose / broken pulleys, and it's not a buzzy rattle like a heat shield / exhaust. I'll run a tank of diesel through next and see if that changes anything, but if anyone else has experienced same on cold mornings on veg, let me know!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

i was under the impression that in order to run veg you need mods? am i wrong?

Comment

COLDER WEATHER will effect you at 100% VEG as it thickens up.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Normally run 50-70%, but had a bit of a mind f*ck in Tescos carpark and brimmed it with veg!

I'm down to half a tank now after a long trip yesterday so I'll drop some diesel in today and see if the noise goes away.

Comment

Its going to get colder this week so start getting into the habit of diluting it a bit more.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Its going to get colder this week so start getting into the habit of diluting it a bit more.

I've heard that the heavy rains are returning at the end of this month too!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              Due to unforseen circumstances (mainly not being able to count!) I am running on near 100% veg oil at the moment with no modifications...

This morning, on starting and at idle there was a sort of clattery type sound, a bit like an old peugeot diesel sound (or bad pinking in a petrol car). On acceleration it went away, and after warming up, the noise didn't return. Is this a side effect of veg (it was pretty cold this morning) or something more sinister.

I checked for loose / broken pulleys, and it's not a buzzy rattle like a heat shield / exhaust. I'll run a tank of diesel through next and see if that changes anything, but if anyone else has experienced same on cold mornings on veg, let me know!
              thats normal mate
              any pics of the bashplate yet pleeeease?
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                thats normal mate
                any pics of the bashplate yet pleeeease?
                Sorry mate, completely forgot. Will try to remember tonight! I still have the original drawings with the angles on somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  Sorry mate, completely forgot. Will try to remember tonight! I still have the original drawings with the angles on somewhere...
                  no worries - you on the net all day at work already???
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thats normal for cold veg oil. Mine has done it a couple of times the last time was at Tony and Linda's BBQ Tony had a listen and said it was too much veg and too lowa temperature. The sticker by the way is tops
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                      no worries - you on the net all day at work already???
                      Just in between jobs

Comment

Working...
                      X