Rear wheel bearing advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel bearing advise needed

Had a great day yesterday...changed all the filters and all the belts on my truck did a few other jobs around it, then lastly came to do the rear wheel bearing which started ok i got the half shaft out got the retaining collars off got the circlip off and just need to get the bearing out but cannot do this i tried hammering,then a press at brothers garage (jig we were using to stand it on started to bend at about 3 ton so called it a day) anyway has anyone got any ideas/suggestions with how to get the rear bearing out.

CheersMat
    Nut in a Truck

Originally posted by fatmat
    Had a great day yesterday...changed all the filters and all the belts on my truck did a few other jobs around it, then lastly came to do the rear wheel bearing which started ok i got the half shaft out got the retaining collars off got the circlip off and just need to get the bearing out but cannot do this i tried hammering,then a press at brothers garage (jig we were using to stand it on started to bend at about 3 ton so called it a day) anyway has anyone got any ideas/suggestions with how to get the rear bearing out.

CheersMat
    Yep had the same probs
    smashed out the cage with hammer & chisel etc then a combination of 1mm thick cutting disk ala Dr anglegrinder to get outer case off, balls go everywhere - picked myself off the floor then V carefully same treatment on the inner casing, cut a groove in it and it shattered off. The Ausie site does show drilling it but my drills must be cr@p they just turned red!! watch out fitting the new bearings it is easy to damage the greese seal, the locking rings are a doddle get them red and they fall into place.
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
      Yep had the same probs
      smashed out the cage with hammer & chisel etc then a combination of 1mm thick cutting disk ala Dr anglegrinder to get outer case off, balls go everywhere - picked myself off the floor then V carefully same treatment on the inner casing, cut a groove in it and it shattered off. The Ausie site does show drilling it but my drills must be cr@p they just turned red!! watch out fitting the new bearings it is easy to damage the greese seal, the locking rings are a doddle get them red and they fall into place.
      Just realised you got a 3rd I got a 2nd so I susspect what I just wrote is no use to you....still might be to someone else!
      Tony

Comment

cheers for that fatfires.....exactly what you wrote worked a treat my truck is back on the road waaaa hooooo, or should i be saying my truck is back off the road, if you know what i mean, any thanks again.

Cheers
        Mat
        Nut in a Truck

Comment

Originally posted by fatmat
          cheers for that fatfires.....exactly what you wrote worked a treat my truck is back on the road waaaa hooooo, or should i be saying my truck is back off the road, if you know what i mean, any thanks again.

Cheers
          Mat
          you have made my day, at last I have been able to give a bit back, it seemed that I was allways posting for knowledge and advice - my bleeding knuckles, frustration, and Meldrewism have finaly paid off
          Thanks for letting me know
          (looks like we have something in common).....size?
          Tony

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere that you need a 6 ton press for the rear wheel bearings, although I may be wrong.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
              I'm sure I read somewhere that you need a 6 ton press for the rear wheel bearings, although I may be wrong.
              stripping down as post 2 above, bearings refited with a piece of scaffold tube and gravity - hubs on a lump of wood to protect studs etc but watch the oil seals on the bearing! get the retainer nice and red and it just drops on
              Tony

Comment

Working...
              X