Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Con wheel keeps sticking

Help, novice seeking expert advice?

When the air conditioning is switched on, the belt is squealing badly and under further inspection the centre of the wheel keeps stopping!

I have searched previous threads and they all point to the same 3 things, although none of them ,mentioned that you can physically see the wheel stopping when the squeal occurs?

What I am wondering is which one should I do first and prevent me doing unnessary work or paying a garage to do it!

Previous jobs:-
    1 New belt
    2 New gas
    3 New bearings

Thanks in advance and if there is a 4th option please let me know.

It could be one or both of the alternator belts squealing as extra load is put on it to power the air-con. If theres no or not enough air-con gas pressure, the centre clutch on the pulley won't engage properly.

Tension all the belts first, as it's the cheapest fix.!

Comment

Thanks for that?

What is the easiest way to ensure the correct tension in the belt and should I do all 3 at the same time or just focus on the air con belt

Comment

Originally posted by Marshman
        Thanks for that?

What is the easiest way to ensure the correct tension in the belt and should I do all 3 at the same time or just focus on the air con belt

May as well check all of them while you're in there, the power steering belt too.
        Easiest way to check tension is by twisting the belt at the mid-way point on it's longest part between two pulleys. You should only be able to twist it a quarter of a turn, any more and it's too slack.

Comment

i gave mine a good spray with wd40 n been workin fine now for ages
          and not mede a noise since

Comment

Thanks! Which part did you spray, I was thinking of jet washing the engine bay this weekend and I can do it then, but was worried that it would cause further problems slipping?

Interestingly, a friend who drives the 2.4 version, drove my car said that my steering was a bit stiff than his surf. Should there be a difference between the 2.4 and 3 litre or does this point to a bigger problem. I still feel the steering is still easy!

Comment

sprayed the wheel bit that sticks dont spray the belt!!
              dont know bout the steerin

Comment

Mine did that when I first bought it three years ago. It was a faulty valve under the n/s dash that was broke, which stopped the aircon gas from circulating through the heat exchanger. That stopped the compressor from working, causing the belt to squeal every time I put the aircon on as the pulley jammed up.

Not a cheap fix. Luckily mine was done under warranty, which cost the garage about £175 at the time for parts and labour.
                Mike G

Comment

Free aircon parts here;

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36217
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                  X