ATF change pending..but?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF change pending..but?

Okay gang..Having decided against hauling the rig from Norfolk to Basingstoke to visit monsuer Tony, i took the quick option, and booked me babe in for a timing belt and auto box fluid change at the local Toyota emporium..

Half an hour after dropping her off, i get a call..the belt won't be a problem, other than a slight leak from the tensioner that'll need addressing sometime in the not too distant..the issue was, they hadn't any dexron.."gawd" methinks!

Anyway..i've the option of reschedualing, or, having a go myself..i've been put off the latter, assuming it to be a complex job..the result being, the change is now very, very overdue..i mean like..years!..three of em!

i'll not stretch your patience with easy searchable gen..i've done my homework..i just need to run this by you by way of a confidence fix..and..one very basic question..

My gameplan is this..purchase several litres of dexron 11, 111 if it's all they have..not over worried at this point re sourcing the cheapest..just want it done..i'll forgo the two bucket pipes off system, opting instead for the open the drain plug, replace said plug..refill a few litres through the dipstick hole..start engine, idle, allow to get to temp, check level..after having cycled the selector from nuetral, through the range and back and top up to the "hot" level..

Still can't work out what "pedant mode" is? mentioned as a method to drain more litreage..ok, forget that..i'll run the motor for a few seconds..it appears it'll do no harm?..no, my question really is this...i know where the gearbox is (ok ok..so i'm not great at this stuff!), but could anyone clarify exactly where the drain plug is please..oh..one other thing..doing the search, it may have been mentioned by a member that his had no washer..that being the case, i assume one isn't required?

Originally posted by mickey

My gameplan is this..purchase several litres of dexron 11, 111 if it's all they have..not over worried at this point re sourcing the cheapest..just want it done..i'll forgo the two bucket pipes off system, opting instead for the open the drain plug, replace said plug..refill a few litres through the dipstick hole..start engine, idle, allow to get to temp, check level..after having cycled the selector from nuetral, through the range and back and top up to the "hot" level..
    errrr Yes!

5ltr's dexron should be enough I don't think there is any problem using dexron ii or Dexron iii, but do not use ATF (also sometimes referred to ford type) or your transmission will eventually come to a very expensive end. Basically what you have said is right except cycle the transmission from park to low then back to park again.

Still can't work out what "pedant mode" is?
    Neither can I

my question really is this...i know where the gearbox is (ok ok..so i'm not great at this stuff!), but could anyone clarify exactly where the drain plug is please..oh..one other thing..doing the search, it may have been mentioned by a member that his had no washer..that being the case, i assume one isn't required?
    Follow the rear propshaft foreward, where it enters the gear box is the transfer box, now further foreward a foot or so and you should be under the transmission sump, its about 14" long & 7" wide with about 25 bolts holding it up. On that there is 1 plug pointing straight down, that is the gearbox drain plug. I don't recall there being a washer on there either.
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

but dont forget to keep your foot on the brake when moving the gear selector...
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Dexron II is still available, but Dexron III is the replacement and is OK to use. Read the small print on the container, it should say Dexron II or III.
        The transmission sump is the one with the flat bottom, under the front propshaft.

"Pedant mode" is for people who like to take the p*ss with their 'superior' knowledge!

p.s. while the transmission was draining, you could have changed the belt, it is an easy job.

Comment

That's very helpfull Coolsv, thanks..I had panic attacks about pulling the wrong plug..took me a while to commit my spanner to the engine oil sump bung too, t'was a daunting prospect!

Sounds like i got it wrapped then..cept for putting it into "park"..i'll endevour to avoid recreating storm's impromptu joyride by standing on the stop pedal whilst cycling..top tip..cheers.

"change the belt?" Bushwhacker..ermmm yeah! maybe next time..100,000 km later!...cost me £116:00. that was the belt, labour and car wash..just for the record.

now i'm at the kinda nervous, but curiously excited stage..dunno if thats a good thing.
          Last edited by mickey; 13 August 2007, 23:03.

Comment

That's very helpfull Coolsv, thanks..I had panic attacks about pulling the wrong plug..took me a while to commit my spanner to the engine oil sump bung too, t'was a daunting prospect!

Sounds like i got it wrapped then..cept for putting it into "park"..i'll endevour to avoid recreating storm's impromptu joyride by standing on the stop pedal whilst cycling..top tip..cheers.

"change the belt?" Bushwhacker..ermmm yeah! maybe next time..100,000 km later!...cost me £116:00. that was the belt, labour and car wash..just for the record.

now i'm at the kinda nervous, but curiously excited stage..dunno if thats a good thing.

116 quid for a belt change????? Do they charge 200 quid an hour then?

Comment

Yes i was there on Friday at 00:50, but that is a very differant story!

Actually £116 isn't a bad price for a belt change I suppose, but the 3.0 ltr ones are a lot easier to do than the 2.4
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Guys..behave..i did say including carwash!

Comment

Guys..behave..i did say including carwash!

Your truck must have been really, really, really, really, really, dirty then!

Comment

If the ATF hasn't been changed for a long time and/or it comes out quite brown, I'd change the fluid a few times, if you're just going for the drain and refill option. Depending on how many miles you do, I'd change it again at the next 2 or 3 services, or every few months. Sounds like you already know that if you just drain and refill, you're only changing about a 3rd of the fluid actually in the the gearbox. And use DEXRONIII, its a higher spec fluid than DEXRONII. General Motors (who writes the specs) makes the older spec fluids obsolete when they release a new one. They're all backwards compatible anyway. But as mentioned, make sure it is actually a DEXRON spec fluid, not the other old Type-F spec (Ford). "ATF" simply means auto transmission fluid, doesn't mean its Type-F Personally I use Comma AQ3 and buy it in a 5 litre bottle from Halfords (or somewhere cheaper!).

Comment

sounds silly I know but I got dextron 111 cheeper from Morrisons forecourt in 10x500ml containers than 1x5 ltr s from the motor factors!!!!!!!!!
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                        sounds silly I know but I got dextron 111 cheeper from Morrisons forecourt in 10x500ml containers than 1x5 ltr s from the motor factors!!!!!!!!!

That's just silly!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                          If the ATF hasn't been changed for a long time and/or it comes out quite brown, I'd change the fluid a few times, if you're just going for the drain and refill option. Personally I use Comma AQ3.

Yeah, i hear what you are saying Rob..doing the search, it became apparent that doing the empty bucket-clean fluid bucket was the best option for a complete change..someone then suggested regular changes, albeit incomplete changes would be a less hassle alternative, which kinda struck a chord with me, i can tell ya!

Maybe i'll look into the cheaper stuff after all..do a fill, run it for a few days, then do it again..thereafter, maybe doing the ATF change at the three monthly or so engine oil and filter service until i know i'm on top of it..

You are the second fella to suggest the Comma stuff..i'll look out for it, ta..it's actually raining here in Norfolk right now, so i'll not get to change it now untill Friday..As always, thanks for your input guys..it's kinda comforting to know you are around

Comment

Working...
                          X