No announcement yet.

Turbo light on all the time (4-runner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo light on all the time (4-runner)

There is another thread, but I don't want to hijack it

I just got a 3.0TD 4-Runner, drives very well no smoke........But I've just realised the turbo light is on. I can only seen it glowing at night as it looks dim.

This is on even at idle!

What can I check? And seeing as it's a new car any chance of pics. I know it's a big ask but I'm too scared to use it now
    Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Originally posted by nishikigoi
    There is another thread, but I don't want to hijack it

I just got a 3.0TD 4-Runner, drives very well no smoke........But I've just realised the turbo light is on. I can only seen it glowing at night as it looks dim.

This is on even at idle!

What can I check? And seeing as it's a new car any chance of pics. I know it's a big ask but I'm too scared to use it now
    Are you sure its a turbo light I didnt think 3.0 litre had them. The surf doesnt but Im not too sure about the 4 runner.
    Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
      Are you sure its a turbo light I didnt think 3.0 litre had them. The surf doesnt but Im not too sure about the 4 runner.
      This comes up on all the 3.0 searches I did.

OK, the 4-runners DO have a turbo light, they ALSO have engine fault light, the turbo light does not work like the 2.4 in coming on WITH the turbo. But rather comes on to warn of a turbo over boost.

I cannot see how I have a problem when the light is on at idle, there could not be enough gas produced to make excesive boost at such low RPM
      Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Originally posted by nishikigoi
        This comes up on all the 3.0 searches I did.

OK, the 4-runners DO have a turbo light, they ALSO have engine fault light, the turbo light does not work like the 2.4 in coming on WITH the turbo. But rather comes on to warn of a turbo over boost.

I cannot see how I have a problem when the light is on at idle, there could not be enough gas produced to make excesive boost at such low RPM

Have a read here.....

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ght=waste+gate

Comment

problems with the alternator wiring can also cuase the turbo light to come on, but dim

i once used the wire feed off alternator to activate a relay - so that it would only come on when engine running,
          but had to disconnect it as it made the turbo light come on dimly!
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Cheers, that thread I have read and it looks like the same confusion over the engine fault light and the 2 types of turbo light used on the Surf/4-runner.

It looks like being the turbo acuator not dumping, either the vac pipe is off/split or the whole assembly is knackered.....

Anyone got one?
            Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

So went out in the rain (aaarr) and had another look, found 2 vacume relays on the drivers side (no idea....no they are the ADD here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...56&postcount=7 ) and forund the turbo sensor bolted to the inlet manifold.

Start engine, light goes out, rev to 2000 rpm, light goes on and stays on (bugger). After a while it stayed on even after starting (just after I removed the plug and took the filter out to try that) put all back and the light stays on.

Even if the wastegate was stuck/FUBAR, should the light go out as the revs dropped (and psi is lost)?

Any idea how much the sensor is?

Any other ideas (it's non-efi) I realy want to keep this one and get it 'lane ready' as it runs fine not a hint of smoke!

Don't supose there is anyone near me in Slough/Reading?
              Last edited by nishikigoi; 5 July 2007, 22:08.
              Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Working...
              X