engine!! 3 choices - 1 decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine!! 3 choices - 1 decision

Hiya, purchased a L reg (94) TD 3.0 import unfortunatley only 6 weeks ago.

Subequently it has broken down and been inspected by a mechanic I trust.

He had the head tested and it is cracked (could not be seen visually). He gave me three options.

1. New head - under 1K all in - but may find the block also cracked hence into a lot more cost.

2. Recon engine - about £2k all in - more assurance of working car at end of this but more cost

3. S$$$$ it. Do you really want to spend £2k on a car that cost 2.5k. A fourth suggestion was illegal.

Anyone got any thoughts on my decision ahead? Do these things have s$$$$ value?

H.

Originally posted by Holly2007

He had the head tested and it is cracked (could not be seen visually). He gave me three options.

1. New head - under 1K all in - but may find the block also cracked hence into a lot more cost.

2. Recon engine - about £2k all in - more assurance of working car at end of this but more cost

3. S$$$$ it. Do you really want to spend £2k on a car that cost 2.5k. A fourth suggestion was illegal.

H.
    hi and welcome to the home of insane surfers.
    Sorry to see you got trouble straight away.Give tonyn a ring his number is on his website at www.4x4toys.co.uk and he is in Basingstoke and does a lot of work for forum members here aswell.He will be able to discuss with you what the main problems will be but i would of thought at the moment it would just be the head but without it being taken off and everything checked theres no way of telling but the majority are just the heads that are gone.Hope this is of some help
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Bad news for you.
      Strip the head off and check that the block is not affected, if not replace the head. Normally it's just the head, once replaced you'll have a great truck.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
        hi and welcome to the home of insane surfers.
        Sorry to see you got trouble straight away.Give tonyn a ring his number is on his website at www.4x4toys.co.uk and he is in Basingstoke and does a lot of work for forum members here aswell.He will be able to discuss with you what the main problems will be but i would of thought at the moment it would just be the head but without it being taken off and everything checked theres no way of telling but the majority are just the heads that are gone.Hope this is of some help
        getting my head fixed at Tony's next month
        Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
          we all know you got head probs J but is Tony the right one for sorting that

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
            When is he fitting in the surf though ..........
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

give wild thing a pm he may have a head
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                give wild thing a pm he may have a head
                Haha i could really lower the tone now but seeing as its a family forum i wont

Comment

Originally posted by Holly2007

H.
                  Hi, welcome and sorry to hear about your troubles, same thing happened to me, but mine aint worth 2.5k.

If you can get the head done for a grand "all in" then that's a bargain, mine came to about £1400.00 but there were some extra's, had the cam belt, idler and tensioner done while it was stripped, and the guy fitted four shocks and a steering damper while he was waiting for the head to come from stevo, who,s ad is on this sight.

Mine is now running fine (apart from a problem with the fuel pump, and needing new steering idler and track rods, but thats another story)

These vehicles do have a s c r a p value, but if you like the surf then it may be best repair it and enjoy it.

As with any car there will be maintenance isues, and cracked heads appears to be one that seems to happen mostly to UK imports, if you check the US and AUS site, they run their's for 300,000km with no head problems, as i'm sure do many UK surfers, we only hear about the bad ones.

Chin up and keep smiling, it can only get better, and you're in good company.

Robert
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

thanks all - given me the confidence to just consider replacing the head and see where it goes.
                    shame i did not know about TonyN before as I just had the car towed back from reading where it broke down to chingford!

will try stevo for head. I saw a quote on toyotahilux dot com for £599 which seems ok - anyone experience with website?

h.

p.s. if you like horror stories. had car broken into whilst outside mechanics in reading. nothing stolen. gypos. tow pick up told me (faceless transaction) and I said dont worry there only a large bag of CDs under the seat. my mechanic at the other end caught him putting the CDs in his truck. doh!

Comment

If you want a HEAD that wont let you down STEVO is the person. The best Mechanic down your way is Tonyn he's in Basingstoke he also uses STEVO'S Heads.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

GENUINE TOYOTA HEADS

3.0TD is one of the best engines going. Chances are there were cracks when you got it like mine. Fairly rare for blocks to go. Stevo supplied mine.

If you like the truck repair it. Otherwise don't talk to me.
                        Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

Working...
                        X