X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaaarrrrghhhh Rust!!!

Hiya,

Newbie needing help.

I've just bought a surf 1993 3.0td and have spotted rust on bottom of the inside of the the two front doors. I'm guessing this is because water wasn't draining properly. One of them has only just started rusting while the other one (drivers side) has rusted through all along the bottom of the door leaving a long hole (no more drainage problems there then).

What's the best way to deal with this? Is the damage structural or can I just s$$$$e off the rust, primer it and paint over it?

If the damage structural do I need a new door and if so, short of hoping a similar coloured one (burgandy over grey) appears for breaking, where do I get one?

Cheers,

Keith

Hi mate depends how long u want it to last, you can grind it out and repair it but it will always come back. New doors from toyota are not that expensive about 180 if i remember right but you then ahve the cost of painting and fitting it. Seems to be a common problem on these. So the only long term cure is new panles i`m affraid. Don.

Comment

If you have a look in the parts for sale section you will probably find a burgundy surf being broken
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

This is the only fault I can find with the hilux in it's various forms.

I am waiting until mine rust through then they will match my pick up. The next step will be to take off the doors completely.

As global warming kicks in the hot weather will give me a nice tan on my knees and the flood water should pass straight through the cab without knocking me downstream (IF I WEAR MY SEATBELT)

Not an easy repair as they rust from the inside. Bad design this bit with those $$$$py window strips and stupid little drain holes, probably not painted properly along the seams. Watch the bulkhead too under the skuttle 'cause that goes too! What junk. I'd like to see what was done for the new hilux vigo.
        Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

Working...
        X