Surf 3.0 diesel overdrive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf 3.0 diesel overdrive??

Hi guys just bought another surf but an auto this time, seems to drive fine except when at higher speeds it seems to be revving too high to me. The over drive button dont seem to do anything. It lights up on the dash but nothing to the revs. Anyone got an idea? Alos whats the red button for in front of the gear stick? and dont know what the ect button does either. Sorry for so many questions but i`ve only had manual ones before. Its a 1994 3.0 td. thanks Don..

Originally posted by Denre
    Hi guys just bought another surf but an auto this time, seems to drive fine except when at higher speeds it seems to be revving too high to me. The over drive button dont seem to do anything. It lights up on the dash but nothing to the revs. Anyone got an idea? Alos whats the red button for in front of the gear stick? and dont know what the ect button does either. Sorry for so many questions but i`ve only had manual ones before. Its a 1994 3.0 td. thanks Don..
    Long time no see mate, Hows the business & hows your hand doing?
    ECT = Electonically Controlled Transmission SPORTS MODE the gearbox will hold the revs longer b4 changing up.
    RED button enables you to move gear selector when engine is off.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi mate all good thanks, still in the same place but workin for my mate now. Hand all healed managed not to fall off my bike again lol. Thanks for the answers on ect etc. Cant understand about the overdrive bit tho, it just dont seem to do anything when either on or off.

Comment

Check for loose plugs attached to the gearbox/transfer case.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Check the ATF level/condition too!

Comment

Hi again check ed the fluid level which is fine but its not tat red in colour so gonna change that to see if it helps. Not that hopefull tho as it just wont go into overdrive at all.

Comment

Hi again check ed the fluid level which is fine but its not tat red in colour so gonna change that to see if it helps. Not that hopefull tho as it just wont go into overdrive at all.
              Overdrive & lock up seem to happen all at once on my motor, round about the 55 mph mark, Changing the trans oil is a good idea, when mine used to heat up the lock up speed got higher and higher
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

I`ve had it up to 90 and it dont change so i dont think its an issue of a higher speed lol. Has no1 else had the same prob? i know some have had gear change probs but this thing just wont hit o/d at all but the light etc all work as they should do

Comment

You need to get the fault codes for the gearbox to see if you have a electrical problem. What revs are you doing at 70? should be around 2,500-2,750 for most auto 3.0's

Pressing the O/D button at over 60 under throttle should get it to change down noticably.

If you disconnect the wiring to the gearbox solonoids, its a 3 pin black plug on the passenger side of the gearbox, then road test the car shifting manually, you can see if its working OK mechanically. It should shift 1st (in L) 3rd (in 2) Overdrive (in D) when you move the lever.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi tony at 70 i`m doing about 3500 revs. it shifts thru the gears fine either in drive or moving the gear lever. the o/d button does not do anything except turn the light on or off on the dash. the revs stay the same which if i`m doing over 70 is not happy doing.

Comment

You need to test it manually, pull the plug like I posted above, and see how it goes, hopefully its just a duff solenoid in the gearbox or loose plug.

Expensive options are ECU or Gearbox itself, I've had solenoid and ECU's go, but no gearboxes yet.

Comment

Ok i`ll try that and let you know, just to make sure unplug the black 3 pin plug and drive it manually? as in shifting lever.

Comment

Ok i`ll try that and let you know, just to make sure unplug the black 3 pin plug and drive it manually? as in shifting lever.
                          Yup, it won't change gear on its own at all, changing up or down. You need to do it all on the lever.

Comment

ok thanks for the advise mate i`ll try that in the moring and post what its doin or not lol

Comment

Hi again Tony, looked under today and cant find a black 3 pin plug on the passenger side. there are 2 plugs on that side but 2 pin plugs that are wire to wire plugs rather than in to a switch. any ideas? thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X