?where's my centre diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?where's my centre diff?

OK - so I'm no expert on my 3rd gen (yet).

I trolled around under the chassis to prep for lubing and oil changes.

I now know where the grease nipples, diffs, transfer case, auto box etc. are but NOT the fabled/mythical centre diff.

Does this exist or are you guys pulling my leg. Where is it located and how is it engaged/disengaged (electric/mechanical).

Reason for asking: with the multi-mode system, I'm supposed to be able to use 4wd high on tarmac but am still getting axle wind-up and flashing lights.

If I de-activate the switch, wind-up immediately stops but lights still flash for a while.

Previous owner said his mechanic suspected the ADD but I think it may be this centre diff.

Some peals of wisdom please.....

Ash.
    ash-ssrg

Originally posted by ash-ssrg
    OK - so I'm no expert on my 3rd gen (yet).

I trolled around under the chassis to prep for lubing and oil changes.

I now know where the grease nipples, diffs, transfer case, auto box etc. are but NOT the fabled/mythical centre diff.

Does this exist or are you guys pulling my leg. Where is it located and how is it engaged/disengaged (electric/mechanical).

Reason for asking: with the multi-mode system, I'm supposed to be able to use 4wd high on tarmac but am still getting axle wind-up and flashing lights.

If I de-activate the switch, wind-up immediately stops but lights still flash for a while.

Previous owner said his mechanic suspected the ADD but I think it may be this centre diff.

Some peals of wisdom please.....

Ash.

Taken from Morr's website..........

3rd Gen: The 3rd Gen Surf has a multi-mode 4wd system.
    It may be used in 2wd Hi-ratio, driven by the rear wheels only, 4wd Hi-ratio with an open centre differential. 4wd Hi-ratio with the centre differential locked and 4wd Lo-Ratio with the centre differential locked.

H2: Rear wheel drive only: Normal operation, best for less wear & tear on components, best fuel economy & performance.
    H4: 4 wheels driven, open centre differential: Press red button on side of 4wd selector. 4 wheel Indicator will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 100Kph. May be used anytime extra traction is desired
    H4L: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked: Move 4wd-selector lever fully back (position of button on side not important), 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 5Kph. Must only be used on loose surfaces such as mud, snow etc.
    L4L: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked, Lo-Ratio engaged: 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector-lever fully back, push to the right and then forwards.

p.s. I haven't got any peals!

Comment

Beachcomber - where are you?

Bushwhacker - I'll owe you an 'R' - just put it on my tab thanks.

I recall Beachcomber having similar problems earlier this year. Where are you Beachcomber and how did you get on with your issue/s.

Cheers,

Ash.
      ash-ssrg

Comment

Hi Ash,
        Thanks for remembering me and my 4WD problem.

I eventually got all modes to work by operating the button many, many times. I think the solenoids/actuators were sticking (probably through lack of use), but once they did operate, I just kept engaging/disengaging the 4WD over a period of an hour or so. I now engage 4WD on a regular basis to keep things freed-up.

However, I still cannot engage H4 (4WD, centre diff open) on the move. Truck has to be stationery in N or P and only then will the 4 green lights go steady with the centre diff amber light off.
        If I press the button on the move, all 5 lights will flash forever. Truck goes into 4WD OK but centre diff remains locked.

I'm guessing there is something monitoring the procedure which only allows it to complete if conditions are right, and for some reason these conditions are not being met on my truck.

Still, at last I can now run in 4WD without winding up the transmission.

If anyone knows why H4 is not engaging properly whilst moving, I'd be pleased to hear an explanation (and maybe a fix...????)

Cheers,
        Don

Comment

theres still hope then that its a minor issue of just sticking through lack of use and NOT something thats going to cost $$$$$$ !!!

good to hear that you have at least some use.

I do have an exploded diagram of the transfer case from a Yank repair manual (on cd), but they ran the old 2nd gen setup on the 3rd gens (no centre diff) up to about 1999 when the multi-mode became an option.
          This manual does not show the multi-mode setup.

My surf has been SORNED since November last year so its only been up and down our (private) road every other week.

Hoping to get it serviced, Taxed and MOT'd in the next month or 2.

Thanks for coming back on this, mate.
          ash-ssrg

Comment

Been doing a bit of 4wd systems homework

Found this link: (thanks to the fella who posted it on here)

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...l%20system.pdf

I assume this article relates to a 2nd gen.

Question 1 - Do 3rd gens also spin their front propshaft & front diff in 2wd?

At the moment, when I hit the 4wd switch (4wd with centre diff unlocked), I get what seems like axle wind-up when turning (even though I have a centre diff) & disco (the dance - not the cr@ppy 4x4) lights flashing on the dash.

Question 2 - Would I get Axle wind-up if my ADD system was NOT engaging??

Assuming it's YES to Q1 and NO to Q2 but will appreciate if someone can confirm.

Trying to rule out the ADD system as the culprit to my 4wd problems. If my assumptions above are correct, its on to the 4wd system electrics as the problem will probably be a switch or something not completing the sequence of 4wd engagment - causing it to get 'stuck'.

Thanks in advance.
            Ash.
            ash-ssrg

Comment

Working...
            X