head gasket part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gasket part 2

has anyone tried sealent for cracked heads/blocks or head gaskets of e-bay?

scotty

Unless it's just to get you through the next few months, don't bother. Mine had sealent in it from when it cracked in Japan. I know this as it left a tale tale stain on my block around the crack. It's a short fix and if it goes when your miles from home your fuc*ed.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
      Unless it's just to get you through the next few months, don't bother. Mine had sealent in it from when it cracked in Japan. I know this as it left a tale tale stain on my block around the crack. It's a short fix and if it goes when your miles from home your fuc*ed.
      Yep it's about as effective as a cat flap in an elephant house, I bought a 2.4 that had had a number of these in, kept the engine running for about 2 months a time, but also turned the radiator into nothing more than t weight at the front of the truck!!

As for the head gaskets I couldn't comment, some people have bought them and had no problems but given the palava to take the head off I wouldn't risk it personally
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

head sealant

I have heard of a product called K-Seal which by all accounts is supposed to repair cylinder heads for the life of the engine.....or at least thats what it says on the tin.

Comment

sorry but if these things really worked stevo would be out of a job!
          no heads would be for sale anywhere
          i dont trust these liquids
          ive heard they are a very short term fix ie:- time to get a car into the block and sell on
          thats about all they are good for in my opinion
          at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

your right shaggy, i would,nt bother with it myself, but someone i was talking to was bragging about how good this stuff is supposed to be!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggie
              I have heard of a product called K-Seal which by all accounts is supposed to repair cylinder heads for the life of the engine.....or at least thats what it says on the tin.
              I've used K-Seal, it didn't work, ask Surfstar.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

LMAO

Gotta be with TonyN et al on this one - absolutely no way
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Errrm Toyota didn't allow heads through the manufacturing process with cracks and seal them up with dum dum. Dum Dum.

Apart from the head gasket but I think that's meant to be there?

Sadly sealing up a head with anything other than a virgin head doesn't work on a combustion engine. It may last long enough to con someone into buying your car with a cracked head but this sort of person doesn't belong here. (On Earth or the forum)

Watch out for reconditioned stitch welded heads. I had one and I blew it back to cracked status in a day.

Good luck with your repair though.
                  Last edited by toyotav84x4; 27 May 2007, 20:10.
                  Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

It used to say india on the side of bus tyres but they never went there

All these wonderful additives that are supposed to seal water leaks, fix leaking oil seals, improve compression and give you 1000 mpg would make every garage redundant and make refueling a thing of the past.

At best they work as a temp measure, at worst they are a waste of money.

I've only seen redex injector cleaning type stuff do any use, oh and octane boosters (which we used to pop into the go-karts to make them go faster)

Originally posted by toyotav84x4
                    Sadly sealing up a head with anything other than a virgin head doesn't work on a combustion engine. It may last long enough to con someone into buying your car with a cracked head but this sort of person doesn't belong here. (On Earth or the forum)
                    Agree with this one,
                    Ok if you mistakenly use it because you think there is radiator leak and you have a much mechanical knowledge as a boiled potato, then fair enough, but to deliberatly put the stuff in just to sell the truck is lower than the lowest of the low. They should be hung, drawn, quartered, beaten half to death, whipped, kicked, fed to the dog and have their nuts roasted over an open fire!! I once worked in a garage where they used to put stp oil thickener in the oil to disguise knocking bigends, scamming b@stards who I am glad to say are now closed and the building demolished!

Anyway rant over, buy a head from stevo and kiss any future problems goodbye!!

Comment

it was not my intention to stitch someone up , just wanted a quick fix , never mind i will be buying a toyota head for it then maybe get rid of it before it goes again,.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby69
                        it was not my intention to stitch someone up , just wanted a quick fix , never mind i will be buying a toyota head for it then maybe get rid of it before it goes again,.
                        sorry if I implied that, I did't mean it to sound that way.

You could be just like me and be a little unlucky, I've fitted a head to mine and all's hunky dory, OK to be sure I fitted a new radiator as well.

A fair few people on here swear by the 3.0ltr, and tonyN has had his warm quite a few times by his own admission. Personally once mine was fixed the sharp pain in the wallet soon went to be replaced by the broad surf grin.

Fix it and at least get the benefit of the warranty period, but I would give the cooling system a good flush out to get rid of all the crud and antifreeze!

Comment

Working...
                        X