Another Rear Window Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Rear Window Problem

The tailgate window has become slower and slower to the point where the motor is still going, but the window doesn't move but just makes a 'bumping' noise.

It worked for a while with a helping hand but won't go all the way up. I just found out that with very little pressure I can slide the window most of the way down without engaging the motor at all.

I'm thinking the teeth on the cog at the end of the motor spindle might be badly worn. If so, will I have to invest £130 from Milner for a full replacement motor, or can I buy the drive cog seperately?

As I've not stripped it down yet, I'm not sure this is the problem though.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so what do I do without getting a severe twist in my wallet?
    JohnH

Weekend Surfer

Sounds like the worn cog.

What I did was this: I swapped it for the rear passenger side door motor which is the same. as it happens I almost never have passengers in the back of mine cos it's my 'work' car.

The same motors were used in corollas etc of the same period, so you might get one from the s$$$$py for a reasonable price, but you have to get one thats 'handed' the correct way.

once you've fixed it, lubricate the bottom runner with grease and the 'slot' it closes into with holts nylon and rubber lube, to avoid wearing out the replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
      Sounds like the worn cog.

What I did was this: I swapped it for the rear passenger side door motor which is the same. as it happens I almost never have passengers in the back of mine cos it's my 'work' car.

The same motors were used in corollas etc of the same period, so you might get one from the s$$$$py for a reasonable price, but you have to get one thats 'handed' the correct way.

once you've fixed it, lubricate the bottom runner with grease and the 'slot' it closes into with holts nylon and rubber lube, to avoid wearing out the replacement
      i also had this problem but found the cog on the the motor and the window setup where both only part worn swapping the near side rear motor which was like new fixed the rear window and there was plenty teeeth left on the old moter to run the rear passenger window

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH
        The tailgate window has become slower and slower to the point where the motor is still going, but the window doesn't move but just makes a 'bumping' noise.

It worked for a while with a helping hand but won't go all the way up. I just found out that with very little pressure I can slide the window most of the way down without engaging the motor at all.

I'm thinking the teeth on the cog at the end of the motor spindle might be badly worn. If so, will I have to invest £130 from Milner for a full replacement motor, or can I buy the drive cog seperately?

As I've not stripped it down yet, I'm not sure this is the problem though.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so what do I do without getting a severe twist in my wallet?

Have a read here for a cheap fix.....

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...ight=de-bonded

Comment

Working...
        X