Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expansion Tank Still Filling Up!

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your help. I hoping that the answer is amongst these replies. Unfortuntaly for me the workshop is closed for the weekend. Monday's another day. Ah well.....................

Davemaxx; there is no oil or sludge & no sign of contamination, still banging my head.

Tallyman; mechanic says the waterpump is fine. The new rad didn't blow untill after the new head went in & the system was refilled.

Knew I should of brought it round the 'ARCH'ES'

Mike.
    www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

a new cylinder head
      a new rad
      all the associated bits and fluids
      plus labour
      plus more on going problems
      thats quite a bill.

'murph' i would have lost faith in the mechanic by now mate and possibly question his abilaty or acuse him of pulling a flanker,

both batteries dieing at the same time, how do you know the originals wernt nicked and replaced with dead ones.

i would get the car back as soon as possible and never bother with him ever again.
      Last edited by davemaxx; 28 April 2007, 02:30.

Comment

expansion bottle

Hi
        I’m having a similar problem with my surf
        If I take off the radiator cap and start the engine, whether hot or cold the water backs up,
        I put the cap back on, the water goes into the expansion bottle I changed the
        radiator core and cap, There is no oil visible in the radiator or water in the oil, no water is coming out of the exhaust. still haveing the same problem

Can anyone help ?

Comment

Originally posted by stalin
          Hi
          I’m having a similar problem with my surf
          If I take off the radiator cap and start the engine, whether hot or cold the water backs up,
          I put the cap back on, the water goes into the expansion bottle I changed the
          radiator core and cap, There is no oil visible in the radiator or water in the oil, no water is coming out of the exhaust. still haveing the same problem

Can anyone help ?
          Sounds like a cracked head/ bad gasket.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Missing Coolant !

I have the same problem. Fitted a new radiator because the old one was leaking. The expansion tank fills up. On top of the expansion tank is a cap which has two connections, one from the radiator and the other down the side of the expansion tank. The third one of course goes into the expansion tank. Since it is an expansion tank, the coolant should go back into the radiator but as the pipe that goes down the side is open to the atmosphere, it seems to me the radiator will draw air in rather than coolant. Should there not be some sort of non-return vavle on the end of this ?

Comment

Originally posted by RogerRoger
              I have the same problem. Fitted a new radiator because the old one was leaking. The expansion tank fills up. On top of the expansion tank is a cap which has two connections, one from the radiator and the other down the side of the expansion tank. The third one of course goes into the expansion tank. Since it is an expansion tank, the coolant should go back into the radiator but as the pipe that goes down the side is open to the atmosphere, it seems to me the radiator will draw air in rather than coolant. Should there not be some sort of non-return vavle on the end of this ?

As long as the end of the tube inside the expansion tank is submerged, then no air will be sucked in.
              The overflow works when the tank is full.

Comment

feedback

how are you doing with your rig?
                whats the latest?

Comment

Expansion Tank Still Filling Up!

Davemax,
                  don't know if your question was meant for me? At the moment the new replaced head is on the way back to Milners. Seems it was faulty from the beginning. In the end thats all it could come back too. The head was pressure tested and found to be faulty. Hopefully the head replacing the replaced head will be working correctly. Apart from that, my knees are worn out & the local church has run out of candles.....................:
                  www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

hi murph, yes the question was ment for you, i'm realy sorry to hear about the replacement head going wrong, i bet everyone involved are really annoyed, i hope you can get some kind of credit towards time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by davemaxx
                      hi murph, yes the question was ment for you, i'm realy sorry to hear about the replacement head going wrong, i bet everyone involved are really annoyed, i hope you can get some kind of credit towards time and money.
                      harumph!

I would say fat chance of getting anything else back other than the head & possibly the gaskets and bolts, most parts suppliers/garages have a get out clause that states they will only replace the faulty part (and sometimes the associated labour) and will not accept responsibility for anything else

good luck though!
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

bring me the head of a tree hugger

hey coolsv650, i realy like that footer, bring me the head of a tree hugger.
                        i pruned a tree at the bottom of my garden and the local aurthority have just served me with an injunction saying that if i touch it again they will sue me for £20,000.
                        and i thought i'd done a really good job, photo attached.

Comment

The best way to fill the cooling system is to flush the whole system out, then get a 1.5lt mineral water bottle, electrical tape it to the filler neck of your rad, put both heaters to hot and fill system. When you have half a bottle of coolant start the engine and let it tick over for a while until it gets hot and the thermostat opens. Then keep blipping the throttle, you will see the air bubbles coming out of the rad and into the mineral water bottle. The level will go down to start with, then start to rise. Give it a few blips where you give it a good amount of revs to make sure it's circulating properly. When it starts to rise and there is no air bubbles coming out, the system has burped. Shut the engine down and let the system cool down. The coolant level will lower as it cools. Replace the rad cap and reconnect to the header tank. Start engine again and let it get hot. Coolant level will rise in the header tank. make sure there is lots of coolant in the header tank. Shut it down and leave it overnight. Then remove or syphon the header tank until it's empty and re-fill to full mark with fresh coolant. Use the Toyota pre mixed Red.

It sounds to me like it's either the head or the head gasket. Mine pressurised in exactly the same way. Did the guy torque the head correctly? The head gaskets come in 5 factory thicknesses and 3 aftersales thicknesses. Did you replace with the correct thickness? Did you use new head bolts? Was the head gasket an original part?

If you want my opinion, replace the head with an ORIGINAL Toyota part and use original head gasket and head bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by murph
                            Davemax,
                            don't know if your question was meant for me? At the moment the new replaced head is on the way back to Milners. Seems it was faulty from the beginning. In the end thats all it could come back too. The head was pressure tested and found to be faulty. Hopefully the head replacing the replaced head will be working correctly. Apart from that, my knees are worn out & the local church has run out of candles.....................:

GET a head from Stevo as these are the genuine part. When it comes to your engine, you have to pay up and by the original parts. You have already seen what buying pattern parts does. Get a refund and go to Stevo.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                              got the surf back on the 16th last. Up till now everything is spot on. The third replaced head was sourced from a different supplier. The 2nd replaced head was returned back to Milners, but they said they could find nothing wrong with it & included a engineer's report backing up there view. The engineer's report l found to be very vague. Kind of leaving room to manovure should it be challenged.
                              Funny then, when suppliers are changed, no more problems. So far, so good. The level of coolant hasn't budged in the rad. And a small expected rise in the expansion tank after a trip that settles again after the surf has cooled off.
                              Thanks to all you guys that offered support & advice.
                              Back on the road, intend to stay there.
                              Murph.
                              www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X