screeching noise!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screeching noise!!!!

Hi there, i've just fitted a new head to my '94' 3.0 td surf. It fired up easy, sounded right on! Untill i started to build up the revs a bit, then at around 2500 revs there was this strange screeching sound, as soon as i let off the gas it went! Also when switching off it gave a loud screech. I've taken the air con belt off and checked the tension of the other belts and it's still doing it!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Dave.

Originally posted by sandgirl1975
    Hi there, i've just fitted a new head to my '94' 3.0 td surf. It fired up easy, sounded right on! Untill i started to build up the revs a bit, then at around 2500 revs there was this strange screeching sound, as soon as i let off the gas it went! Also when switching off it gave a loud screech. I've taken the air con belt off and checked the tension of the other belts and it's still doing it!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Dave.
    have any of the wheels the belts go round got any play in them cause on my 94 3.0 i think its a bearing on the little wheel next to the air con that has some play in it but check the other wheels to see if there is any play.
    i hope you understand this
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi Richard,
      i know the idler pulley you're talking about and that seems to be fine. I will check all the other pulley's tomorrow. Thanks mate, Dave.

Comment

Hi Richard,
        i know the idler pulley you're talking about and that seems to be fine. I will check all the other pulley's tomorrow. Thanks mate, Dave.
        Dave was that you that registered after Claire and in your profile saying about wanting to do some off roading and laning

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          Dave was that you that registered after Claire and in your profile saying about wanting to do some off roading and laning
          Hi Richard, no that wasn't me. Old American stuff is more my thing.

Comment

Hi Richard, no that wasn't me. Old American stuff is more my thing.
            ah it was just after Claire registered that someone else from Hayle registered aswell and i thought it was you

You can't beat the old Yankee motors tho.I love the 60's style motors

Comment

ah it was just after Claire registered that someone else from Hayle registered aswell and i thought it was you

You can't beat the old Yankee motors tho.I love the 60's style motors
              I'm a bit of a 50's lover myself. Mind you the 60's and 70's American cars we're great too. I've got a '54 chevy truck' at the moment and it's a pleasure to work on compared to modern vehicles. I won't let Claire read this mind as i'm always glad to borrow her 'modern vehicle' in $$$$py weather though!!!

Comment

I'm a bit of a 50's lover myself. Mind you the 60's and 70's American cars we're great too. I've got a '54 chevy truck' at the moment and it's a pleasure to work on compared to modern vehicles. I won't let Claire read this mind as i'm always glad to borrow her 'modern vehicle' in $$$$py weather though!!!
                is your truck sometimes parked on the main road in hayle,

the other guy that i said about has a 96 3rd gen called Nigsy

Comment

is your truck sometimes parked on the main road in hayle,

the other guy that i said about has a 96 3rd gen called Nigsy
                  I know the one you mean in Hayle, it's a purple one, i think it belong's to a chap called Pete. Mine's usually in the St.Erth area and is satin black! I don't know the other guy with the 96 3rd gen.

Comment

I know the one you mean in Hayle, it's a purple one, i think it belong's to a chap called Pete. Mine's usually in the St.Erth area and is satin black! I don't know the other guy with the 96 3rd gen.
                    there's 3 or 4 0f us going pass your way in the morning so if you see 2 black and 1 or 2 burgundy surfs then you know who we are.Mine will be the lifted black one

Comment

there's 3 or 4 0f us going pass your way in the morning so if you see 2 black and 1 or 2 burgundy surfs then you know who we are.Mine will be the lifted black one
                      Okey dokey, i'll keep my eyes peeled. Cheers mate, take it easy. Dave.

Comment

ok Dave.There is a surf meet in september aswell if you interested,all details are in the off road section under Rtts

Comment

richard black surf may be higher than mine but mine is the best looking with the skull on it lol

Comment

then at around 2500 revs there was this strange screeching sound, as soon as i let off the gas it went! Also when switching off it gave a loud screech.
                            There have been a few of us with the same problem. Mine still does it since head replacment. Could be a belt but almost the same sound appears to come from the turbo when failing (bearing wear causing blades to hit the sides) or an air leak around the same area.
                            One guy said the inlet manifold gaskets didn't seal properly and a bit of instant gasket did the trick.
                            I'm sure mine is the turbo but I do have a small blowby on the exhaust manifold which may be causing the multi layers steel gaskets to whistle.
                            Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

all sorted!!!!!!!!!

Hi there,
                              Sorry for the delay in posting this! Thanks to you all for your advice. I decided i would take the inlet manifold off and reseal it with some instant gasket (as this wouldn't cost me anything)! Before i got to far into the job i discovered the unit on the back of the inlet with the link pipe that goes across to the exhaust manifold was loose... i caught the nuts, but forgot to tighten them (fool)!!!!!!! So i tightened them in put the other bits back on and hey presto.. noise gone!
                              Thanks again, Dave.

Comment

Working...
                              X