No announcement yet.

1996 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex, Subic isn't a very good place to buy from because it's a special economic development zone and you could easily buy a car there which might not be fully legal once you drive it out of the SBMA area.

Best place to start is the government pounds in Manila or Mactan port areas. You can see the imported cars there as they really are. Most of the ones imported from Japan are severely accident damaged and are imported as salvage then rebuilt locally. That probably doesn't sound too encouraging but that's the way it's usually done. Most of my familys' vehicles were bought off the dock as wrecks and carefully rebuilt. This is hassle-free and very cost effective because labor is very cheap and so are parts for Philippines made Toyotas. This is why you can see many later trucks and cars for sale with non-electronic 2.4 and 2.8 diesels. These are built in the Cavite plant for the Tamaraw 4x4 and Hilux double-cab truck and the parts are much cheaper than parts for JPN made Toyotas.

Another great source of vehicles is BIR auctions of impounded cars. If you buy from them the authorities can hardly cause you any inconvenience later can they:-)

Mag saya kayo okey

Comment

1996 2.4

Hi Elvz,
      How come all of a sudden some of the mates are speaking Tagalog?
      Glad to know that we've got compatriots over there. The SUBIC units now are not the crash damaged units of yore. These are freshly imported surplus units from Japan and some are in REALLY good shape. It's some sort of "legalized" grey market importation. RP law prohibits importation of RHD units but it's being done. And the units ARE legally registered and fully converted to LHD when you buy them. Anyway, regards to all of you. This IS the BEST forum I've joined.
      butch
      1992 SSR-X 2.4TD
      2L-TE, A/T
      LSD rear
      31"x10.5" on std rims

Comment

what's tagalog??

um....
        oor wullie, the broons.... hoo noo broon coo

fog on the tyne, fishy on a dishy

St just penzance mousehole perranporth falmouth

cardiff swansea newport pontllanfraith ystradgynlais Llanfairpwyllgwyngyllgogerychw yrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

that's the only foreign i know!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Galit ka? we all are
          Gusto mo ba ng beer?
          Salamat.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

En el otro lado es donde vivi con mi hijita que se llama mixie y su hermana si me quiere y ahorita tenemos un bebe Sus padres sus tios me trataron matar but they did not get too far un poco despues tuve que regresar con un chingo de dinero cause you know im a star me fui a costa rica para tomar y sufear practicaba con la raza
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Butch My Dear, The laws of the Philippine Republic forbid the importation of RHD vehicles, Gasoline-fueled vehicles displacing over 2,800cc etc, etc, etc for use by individuals but anyone who holds a commercial import licence can import any sort of vehicle for use in connection with a business.

Registering a vehicle for use on the road for private use (white plates) is something completely different and the laws relating to type, construction and taxation still apply. The SBMA area is scam city so it isn't surprising that you can get grey imports registered there without problems. If the vehicle was imported and registered illegally it is still subject to all the penalties that applied at the time of its importation including confiscation, and there is no statute of limitation.

Buying an illegal import from one of the SBMA syndicates is exactly the same as buying a stolen car. You can probably use it yourself without any trouble but if you decide to sell it or if it is stolen it will come to the attention of the taxation authorities and they may confiscate the vehicle and demand the unpaid taxes from you.

...Why do all these guys speak Tagalog? It's because they want to stay healthy and all the nurses and medical technicians here are Pinays.... If they were a bit smarter they'd be learning Fujianese so they could become immortal

Elvie

Comment

1996 2.4

Thanks for that bit of info Elvz, cuz these units are literally crawling all over the place. You see them everywhere and it seems that their registration can be renewed. Even some local government officials and law enforcement people own such units as their PERSONAL property. You can even have the venue of registration transfered from Subic to your locallity and it doesn't seem to bother the local LTO office. So it would be wise to keep the "no statute of limitation" in mind. Again. regards
                butch
                1992 SSR-X 2.4TD
                2L-TE, A/T
                LSD rear
                31"x10.5" on std rims

Comment

"Even some local government officials and law enforcement people own such units as their PERSONAL property"

mmm.... and of course they purchased these imported vehicles with money saved from their salaries didn't they?

Comment

Working...
                  X