1996 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 2.4

I am about to purchase a 1996 Surf with a 2.4 turbocharged diesel engine with 87,000 km., fresh off the boat from Japan and has been converted to left hand drive (I live in the Philippines).

Does this model also suffers from the overheating problem/head problem?

The dealer assured me that it does not and dealers does not provide warranty on used cars here in the Philippines. He even offers me a two week try out and if there is overheating he would refund my money.

After reading all the posts about overheating now I am starting to worry, though the price of this vehicle here in the Philippines is quite cheap, approx 3,500 pounds.

Should I take the plunge or look for the 3 liter version?

Originally posted by alexg
    I am about to purchase a 1996 Surf with a 2.4 turbocharged diesel engine with 87,000 km., fresh off the boat from Japan and has been converted to left hand drive (I live in the Philippines).

Does this model also suffers from the overheating problem/head problem?

The dealer assured me that it does not and dealers does not provide warranty on used cars here in the Philippines. He even offers me a two week try out and if there is overheating he would refund my money.

After reading all the posts about overheating now I am starting to worry, though the price of this vehicle here in the Philippines is quite cheap, approx 3,500 pounds.

Should I take the plunge or look for the 3 liter version?
    The first query is the age, are you sure its a '96 ? as they stopped putting the 2.4TD engine in the Surf in '93.
    A '96 should be a 3rd gen model, in which the only diesel engines are 3.0.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

hope this info is of use.
      I recently had to do a head on my 1989 2.4 turbo.
      but even so because of the cheap cost it still worked out an ok buy.
      maybe only because I did the work myself
      and I have the bonus of a new engine.

I'm not sure on the 1996 model but I think they are all capable of having problems.

I never picked up the clue of my surfs water consumption at purchase time. as to an indicator of problems, but with hindsight I can advise you to do a test as follows.

First with engine cold, remove radiator pressure cap and check coolant.
      It must look like good quality coolant and full up to the top. If its not walk away. If its ok take it for a good hard drive for as long as you can.(30 min proberbly enough) Then let it sit until completely cold or just a littel warm. don't let anyone touch it. Then check the coolant again it should be exactly the same colour and levil as befor, if its not, walk away.

This will tell you that you have no immiediate problems.
      Any funny sounds, rattles, knock, ticking, hissing, bubbling, gurgling is not good. this motor is smooth and quiet. and should sound and drive so.
      engine should only smoke when cold, and really only tiny puffs now and then, once warm. If it noticeably smokes when driving its worn more than it should be.

Test befor you buy, no test, no cash.

Another point I will ad, is that if I could choose between the 2.4 and the 3.0. I would get the 3.0, because the engin is (I'm told just as economical as the 2.4) but has less strain because of more power.
      more power has got to be good.

I gotta go now cos of phone line use, ask if you need more info.

Comment

Morr,

Thanks for the information, I just talked to the dealer and he admitted that it was a 91 engine on a 96 body! And I think he was not planning on telling me, again thank you!

Now am back to square 1, looking for another car.

Comment

Morr,

Thanks for the information, I just talked to the dealer and he admitted that it was a 91 engine on a 96 body! And I think he was not planning on telling me, again thank you!

Good dealer, very trustworthy indeed. Take it you are looking elsewhere now.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Morr,

I'm glad we could help, and stop you from buying something that was not as it seemed.
            Any more questions? just ask, as there is a great wealth of information on the forum, with many very knowledgable members only too willing to help.

Happy hunting
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Alex,
              From what province are you? I'm from Cebu. Glad you found this forum. It's REALLY GOOD . Look at the other threads so that you'll have a good idea of what is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Generation SURF. Not familiar with the 1st, but 2nd gen has 2 diesel engines available 2L-TE (2.4L Turbo EFI) and the 1KZ-TE (3.0L Turbo EFI). 3rd gen has 1KZ-TE and an intercooler. 4rt gen is the 2003 model here. I've seen some running but these are brand new grey market imports. The body shells of the 2nd is NOTICEABLY different from that of the 3rd gen.
              A useful tip to spot ripoff artists is to take a look at the front seat belts. Look at the part of the seat belt that is anchored to the floor. There SHOULD BE a piece of cloth sewn on the belt that shows the manufacturing date of the belt. The print of the date is very tiny BUT IT IS THERE. As TOYOTA is the innovator of JIT manufacturing I'm defenitely sure that the date on the belt matches the year model of the vehicle. If it has been cut off, then you can be sure that you are duped. I've seen some do just that. My dealer told me that mine was a "92 and true enough, that what's on the belt.
              Good Luck. This is a really great vehicle.
              butch
              1992 SSR-X 2.4TD
              2L-TE, A/T
              LSD rear
              31"x10.5" on std rims

Comment

Originally posted by SSO42
                but 2nd gen has 2 diesel engines available 2L-TE (2.4L Turbo EFI) and the 1KZ-TE (3.0L Turbo EFI)
                dont forget the 2nd gens from '89/'90 and their 2LT (turbo non-EFI)

Comment

Ano pa ang pinag bibili na mura diyan? Bwahhhhahhhaaahaaa!

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
                    maligaya
                    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                    [size=5][/size]
                    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
                      I'm in - wheres the cider and wheres the closet

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                        I'm in - wheres the cider and wheres the closet

Pero hawag kang mag-alaala uh! Basta naintindihan ko o maiintindihan sila, ok lang

I think
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Thank you all for the reply.

Quite informative. I am not really new on this Toyota model, I own a 1996 4Runner 4WD when I lived in California (still in my house in LA, my aunt is maintaining it for me), am not familiar with the model name and features of the Surf (4Runner) available in Europe and Asia.

Am now looking for another Surf or maybe check if I can ship mine from the US.

Again thanks.

Comment

"Am now looking for another Surf or maybe check if I can ship mine from the US."

The importation of privately owned vehicles to the Philippines requires a great deal of paperwork and can take so long that you die of old age waiting.

First you are required to obtain an IMPORT AUTHORITY PERMIT from your nearest Philippine Embassy before shipping. You are also required to obtain a SPECIAL IMPORT PERMIT before the vehicle is landed. This permit is available only in the Philippines, and cannot be issued by an embassy or consulate offices.

All motor vehicles must have an Import Authority Permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Import Service before the vehicle is shipped.

You are required to employ a licenced customs broker prior to shipping any vehicles. Import Tax is currently 100% of retail value for new vehicle, 40% for 4 year old vehicle. Vehicles over five years old are not premitted. Gasoline-fueled cars over 1600cc are subject to Special Value Added Tax at 30% and it is prohibited to import vehicles over 2800cc and/or 1500KG. Right-hand drive vehicles are not permitted. Only one vehicle is allowed per family (this can be taken to mean registered at any single address). Banned/unauthorised motor vehicles are subject to seizure, and the owner subject to penalties.

Documents required:
                            Original Registration and proof of ownership
                            Special Import Permit from Department of Trade or Bureau of Import
                            Surety Bond (think BIG!)
                            Original Bill of Sale
                            Original Passport (Preferably GREEN)
                            Certificate of arrival
                            Stencils of chassis/engine number
                            Deed of Sale or Commercial Invoice
                            Other documents, depending on customer's immigration status (Business Registration Permits are cool!)

Failure to comply with any of the above will result in CONFISCATION of vehicle and CRIMINAL LIABILITY. Complying with it might cost you more than the vehicle is worth and there might be a few bits missing when you next see it.

Comment

Elvz,

By the look of things, I really have one good option, get an imported Surf from a dealer.

I looked at a 93 Surf last night selling for P400K around 4k pounds, and I was very disappointed with the hacked dashboard conversion.

Anyway, I will be at Subic this weekend to check things out, a friend gave me a couple of dealers to contact. I figure I might as well go to the place where these vehicles are delivered from Japan.

Thanks for the info on the importation "impossibility".

Comment

Working...
                              X