No announcement yet.

Possible head damage...HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave him £100 for the car and its mint apart from this!! Its a good job i got a mate that work sin engineering for Mercedes Trucks really isn't it!!! A lot less than £1000 me thinks!! lol!
    There's no point living if you can't feel alive

Comment

Originally posted by knightinblackarmour
      I gave him £100 for the car and its mint apart from this!! Its a good job i got a mate that work sin engineering for Mercedes Trucks really isn't it!!! A lot less than £1000 me thinks!! lol!
      I have a 3.0l and have had the head off twice, once in the motor once out, if you have the manual and are a bit experienced give it a go...... But
      1. get your new head from stevo and I would reccomend a complete one.
      2. mark everything esp. vacuum pipes.
      3. put as much as you can on the new head before fitting.
      renew all gaskets.
      4. check, check and check again timing belt, vac pipes and electrics.
      5. mark everything - I know I said it before!
      6. dont put in coolant untill you have made sure you have no leaks and have flushed the system.
      7. after re assembly dont keep the new oil in too long, it will almost certainly be contaminated.
      8. while working on the motor take the oportunity to charge your batteries.
      The 3.0l engine is a good'un if it is looked after, being as you got the motor for next to nothing dont skimp on a rebuild and it will give you years of service
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
        My impression is that it's technically easy as long as you've got tools, space, time, patience and instructions.

And yer nuts aren’t rusted up tight
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Ah, well it wouldnt matter even if it did cost you £1000 you'd still be quids in mate! provided it aint a rust bucket!

stevo has just lowered his prices on heads aswell! i think its £799 for the 3.0ltr head

Comment

Well i apreciate the advice guys, you're so helpful. It fels like a family just like 300zx.co.uk that i'm also a member of for my nissan 300. Its really appreciated.

I didn't realise the heads were so expensive though. Does that include all the necessary item eg gaskets etc? It's gonna cost a ot to be put right isn't it.

No it certainly isn't a rust bucket, my mate imported it himself and has looked after it religiously since. only prob is a little surface rust on the OSR passenger door under the trim and the fact that it needs a wash! It really is an excellent motor.

I'm quite gutted in a way because there's no way i can afford that plus the cost of having it fitted at the oment as i'm due to move house, plus i've had to pay an arm and a leg to get the 300 through its MOT

Is it worth finding another engine and swapping them out until i can rebuild this one?

Comment

Well i apreciate the advice guys, you're so helpful. It fels like a family just like 300zx.co.uk that i'm also a member of for my nissan 300. Its really appreciated.

I didn't realise the heads were so expensive though. Does that include all the necessary item eg gaskets etc? It's gonna cost a ot to be put right isn't it.

No it certainly isn't a rust bucket, my mate imported it himself and has looked after it religiously since. only prob is a little surface rust on the OSR passenger door under the trim and the fact that it needs a wash! It really is an excellent motor.

I'm quite gutted in a way because there's no way i can afford that plus the cost of having it fitted at the oment as i'm due to move house, plus i've had to pay an arm and a leg to get the 300 through its MOT

Is it worth finding another engine and swapping them out until i can rebuild this one?
              Ive seen 3.0ltr engines for sale from some company and they want £750 for them!

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/members_pa...evo/index.html
              Thats stevo!
              I got the price wrong! its more expensive then i remembered!!

To be perfectly honest mate you could EASILY sell it on, make some money and then look at getting another 3.0ltr!

what colour is it??

Comment

It's black! Very black!

I actually wanted to use it as its a damn site more practical than a 300zx! I could always leave it in my workshop for a while until i can repair it, but then i'm concerned about these new tax laws cos it'll hit the surf like a ton of bricks

Comment

and i've just found this....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Colrard...QQcmdZViewItem

and if you read to the bottom it says For £555 + VAT i can have a genuine toyota head with everything else.

So what do i do?

Comment

It's black! Very black!

I actually wanted to use it as its a damn site more practical than a 300zx! I could always leave it in my workshop for a while until i can repair it, but then i'm concerned about these new tax laws cos it'll hit the surf like a ton of bricks

Tax aint a problem mate! It goes up £5 this year and then £5 next year!

You wont have any worrys getting hit by the excessive band G tax rate!

Black is beautiful! If you have the ability to keep it stored then i would do that mate!

Once the head has been done you should be good for years an years with it mate!

i'd be tempted to keep hold of it and get it sorted! either way it will a while yet before you were looking at making any kind of loss!

Your total outlay for the surf including new head would be say max £1500! well your surf should be worth at least double that! So its only an investment!

Comment

and i've just found this....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Colrard...QQcmdZViewItem

and if you read to the bottom it says For £555 + VAT i can have a genuine toyota head with everything else.

So what do i do?
                      Difficult to say mate! Its £555+vat plus exchange! so you gotta get your current head off an send it to him!

The only thing is if i nit pick it! Hes selling a lot of "cracked head repair kits" Is he just repairing the f**ked heads that he gets in or somet?!?!

The stevo one is a few hundred more and it could be well worth it in piece of mind alone!!
                      i've heard mentioned many times "Buy cheap buy twice"

Its totally down to you! But im putting my money on stevo being the better bet

Comment

You're probably right, I'll store her up for a bit then and see what the future brings. I really need to keep it mobile as long as possible.

Whats confused me though is if it had cracked surely i'd have fluid contamination?

I only have steam from the zorst, no oil in water, or water in oil. Its very strange. I'm wondering if the head might have warped because the rad went bonkers and lost a load of water. What do you think?

Is it worth having the head taken off and pressure tested to see if it is simply warped?

Comment

I wouldn't, reccon you could pay around the same ammount for an 'unknown' engine with a lot more work, and believe me these lumps are HEAVY and I would much rather change a head than engine out. I've had to do both!!
                          whatever you do the head needs to come off, so have a lookie - chances are it has gone between the valves, use the search button on here I know it is talked about regularly.
                          It is worth warning you I had to change my head because some muppet had put on a badly welded up head previously - there are a lot of unscrupulous folks out there, saying that Stevo does have a good reputation on here and I say that with no direct dealings with the man, with quallity parts, carefull assembly and regular servicing the 3.0l will give years of service..read all the threads from the aspiring 2.4 owners!
                          Last edited by fatfires; 23 March 2007, 12:06.
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

You're probably right, I'll store her up for a bit then and see what the future brings. I really need to keep it mobile as long as possible.

Whats confused me though is if it had cracked surely i'd have fluid contamination?

I only have steam from the zorst, no oil in water, or water in oil. Its very strange. I'm wondering if the head might have warped because the rad went bonkers and lost a load of water. What do you think?

Is it worth having the head taken off and pressure tested to see if it is simply warped?
                            My 3.0ltr had a similar problem in that it kept bursting the radiator header tank, it was only when I bought one of them combustion gas test kits I found gasses were in the coolant, no steam... no cross contamination

once I took of the head it was cracked in 4 places (between the valves on No4, Between the valves in No3, From the combustion chamber in No4 & 2) I can vouch for stevo as i've bought 2 heads from him last year (a 2.4 & a 3.0) and can certainly say he is the man to contact, you'll get the full works, head bolts, timing belt etc, apart from 1 or 2 gaskets which don't come as part of the kit, and I managed to re-use the old ones, he even will aggange for the old head to be collected once you've swopped everything over, and he's very helpful.

If you not going to be running it i'd wip of the head and check for cracking, if you've got a straight edge you can check for warping at the same time.

The bottom end's are normally pretty solid so you shouldn't have any problems there
                            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

OK guys, thanx for the advice. Next question.

this car has had all its parts from a place called Milner Off Road (www.milneroffroad.com) and they've always been very helpul and supplied quality parts according to Andy (my friend i bought it from). They have said they will supply the complete head and accessories except the valves for £652.13 inc VAT. Now this is a significant saving on £900 from Steve, what do you guys think?

Sorry to p*** on any bonfires, I just don't have £900 + the cost of fitting etc.

Thoughts?

Comment

OK guys, thanx for the advice. Next question.

this car has had all its parts from a place called Milner Off Road (www.milneroffroad.com) and they've always been very helpul and supplied quality parts according to Andy (my friend i bought it from). They have said they will supply the complete head and accessories except the valves for £652.13 inc VAT. Now this is a significant saving on £900 from Steve, what do you guys think?

Sorry to p*** on any bonfires, I just don't have £900 + the cost of fitting etc.

Thoughts?
                                Read this.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31802

Comment

Working...
                                X