Heads gone!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads gone!!

After a couple of weeks of a smoking grumbly surf i think the heads finally gone She overheated really bad today with huge plumes of white smoking filling my rear view mirror.However still nothin under oil filler cap and very little if any water loss .Luckly shes still in warranty and shes going in tommorrow, is there anything else that could cause this? and if she does need a new head is there anything i should make sure the garage does as part of the new head replacement?? you know what their like for cutting corners.

make sure they fit a new head and dont get fobed off with the old head gaskit trick, chances are the head as gone between the 2nd and 3rd piston valve ports.The new heads courced from toyota have the new water and oil extra ports and keep the head cooler. however this is NOT a cheap fix.
    Mine went and stood me in £1200.so be ready...good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Ianman
      After a couple of weeks of a smoking grumbly surf i think the heads finally gone She overheated really bad today with huge plumes of white smoking filling my rear view mirror.However still nothin under oil filler cap and very little if any water loss .Luckly shes still in warranty and shes going in tommorrow, is there anything else that could cause this? and if she does need a new head is there anything i should make sure the garage does as part of the new head replacement?? you know what their like for cutting corners.

Put a paint mark on the cylinder head so you can identify it before it goes in and get them to show you the old 'head after they've replaced it.

Comment

When you say "under warrenty" what are the specific terms, coz again the warrenty terms tend to be stacked in their favour, so they don't have to pay out.
        Check the small print!
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Find out if you are getting a new genuine head or a new aftermarket head or if you are getting a recon job exchange on yours. 3.0 right like mine.
          (otherwise if 2.4 engine you need a 2.8 litre head engine code 3L)

Some Options:

-A recon will almost certainly go again later on when out of warranty and this is a likely repair to save the garage half the money.

-One guy has recently used a new aftermarket head from ebay - check his results on the forum.

-The best and most expensive; a new genuine toyota head will come with all the Toyota tags and codes in the wrapping as proof. If the garage sources one they should be able to show you proof?

I bought a new genuine head and head gasket from Stevo - Engine Co. Ltd and the engine doesn't miss a beat. He built the head up with internals from the damaged head and I fitted it to the engine with new timing belt and gasket.
          Good luck mate
          Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

Mark the head bolts too, with black marker. You don't want them reused as this could cause the head gasket to fail. The genuine bolts are £12 EACH and there are 18 of them.

I've just done mine. Read this.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31502

Comment

Working...
            X