Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info needed, Newbie, Please help

Hi there
    I have been looking at Hilux Surfs for a while and found what I think is a bargain. It is a 94 3 litre Hilux Surf Turbo Diesel Automatic. Everything about it seems fine apart from a very odd screechy whiny noise when I accelerated it on the test drive. Almost like a loose fan belt, either way, very off putting. It made this noise on the flat or going uphill. The mechanic seemed to think it was a Turbo Diesel thing and could be fixed, (I am not mechanically minded enough to reiterate what he said ) HOWEVER, before I part with cash I thought it wise to canvass opinions and others experiences first.

Also, does this model have a cam belt or chain, or do some of these vehicles have a chain and some a cam belt.

Any help and advise is much appreciated and I thank anyone in advance that can spare me their time.

Thankyou

ralph

Originally posted by Emilys dad
    Hi there
    I have been looking at Hilux Surfs for a while and found what I think is a bargain. It is a 94 3 litre Hilux Surf Turbo Diesel Automatic. Everything about it seems fine apart from a very odd screechy whiny noise when I accelerated it on the test drive. Almost like a loose fan belt, either way, very off putting. It made this noise on the flat or going uphill. The mechanic seemed to think it was a Turbo Diesel thing and could be fixed, (I am not mechanically minded enough to reiterate what he said ) HOWEVER, before I part with cash I thought it wise to canvass opinions and others experiences first.

Also, does this model have a cam belt or chain, or do some of these vehicles have a chain and some a cam belt.

Any help and advise is much appreciated and I thank anyone in advance that can spare me their time.

Thankyou

ralph
    Hi Ralph get them to change all the belts including the cam belt and oil and filters unless its already been done and if so then you want this problem sorted before you have it and if not walk away as you will find another good surf in no time.
    Is this a private sale or a dealer by the way
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If it's not a loose belt, then it could be the crank pulley, which will cost you a good couple of hundred quid to have fixed, so get them to do it before you pay up.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

It's a trader. He seems to deal in a few cars and like I say, on the face of it, the vehicle seems good, but your answers are hugely helpful and I will put these suggestions to the dealer.

As I am in the market for a Surf could anyone suggest any good outlets for me to purchase from in my area.

I am based around the Coventry Birmingham area, again, any help is hugely appreciated.

ralph

Comment

Originally posted by Emilys dad
          It's a trader. He seems to deal in a few cars and like I say, on the face of it, the vehicle seems good, but your answers are hugely helpful and I will put these suggestions to the dealer.

As I am in the market for a Surf could anyone suggest any good outlets for me to purchase from in my area.

I am based around the Coventry Birmingham area, again, any help is hugely appreciated.

ralph
          give stevo a bell his number is on his website here.He had a 3l going a short while ago but i don't know if it's sold yet or no.He has his own engine comp and supplies people on here with the new surf heads
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html

also check out the surfs for sale section

heres the link to Stevo's
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28009
          Last edited by stormforce; 6 March 2007, 01:21.
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

ralph

Comment

Ralph,

How much was this bargain? If it's cheap, it may be worth a squealy belt. If not, like Richard said, there are plenty to go around.

Comment

Ebay is also good place to buy as is this site. On Ebay, sometimes there are so many FOR SALE, that if you wait till end of auction and it doesn't sell, you can ring person up and make an offer. I did this with my 3rd gen, which has stainless exhaust, raised, chipped, good wheels and other extras. His starting bid was £5750.00. I rang after auction and said i would come with £5000 cash next day, Friday. He said no. Come Saturday. One advantage is, that if car was not as described, i could walk away, without any problems with Ebay, as it had become a private sale.
                That was last July and touch wood, so far, after 10,000 Klms no problems.
                Unfortunately can only look at my car parked outside as it will be a while before i can drive it. Did i mention i had a broken leg!!!
                Philip
                Still Searching,
                Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                  Unfortunately can only look at my car parked outside as it will be a while before i can drive it. Did i mention i had a broken leg!!!
                  Philip
                  Yes..... but in your defence is was your wife's fault!
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                  X