tailgate window stuck up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailgate window stuck up

Hi. My rear window (the one in the tailgate) has been fine for 3 years but last week seemed a touch hesitant and has now locked in the UP position. I'm not a mechanic but hoped that (if the gods are smiling) a quick clean of connections and a squirt of silicon might avoid a massive garage bill. But how do you access the workings if you cant open the tailgate? Do you have to grovel inside and take off the carpeted panel? Most importantly, is there any chance that someone like me who isn't an electrical engineer could fix the problem? I've looked at other posts I can find in these Forums and am feeling a bit daunted. Thanks for any sound advice!!!

Originally posted by mary
    Hi. My rear window (the one in the tailgate) has been fine for 3 years but last week seemed a touch hesitant and has now locked in the UP position. I'm not a mechanic but hoped that (if the gods are smiling) a quick clean of connections and a squirt of silicon might avoid a massive garage bill. But how do you access the workings if you cant open the tailgate? Do you have to grovel inside and take off the carpeted panel? Most importantly, is there any chance that someone like me who isn't an electrical engineer could fix the problem? I've looked at other posts I can find in these Forums and am feeling a bit daunted. Thanks for any sound advice!!!
    hi Mary make sure you haven't pressed the window lock button on the drivers door panel and make sure the rear wiper is seated properly as they are the first 2 things to check
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If my rear wiper is on the glass, as soon as I turn the key to open the window it flips up into the parked position.

Can you hear the motor working when you press the internal switch or turn key?

St Ives is in Cornwall by the way!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        St Ives is in Cornwall by the way!!
        Now come on Vince get your maps out and study them.There is more than one St.Ives.You have let your self down now.I'm surprised you aint got a link for the place. just like this

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newsearch...rchp=newsearch..

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          Now come on Vince get your maps out and study them.There is more than one St.Ives.You have let your self down now.I'm surprised you aint got a link for the place. just like this

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newsearch...rchp=newsearch..

I did add a smiley to that statemant, for me there is only one St Ives, all the rest are just copies!
          A bit like that LandRover thing that MattF has.

Comment

I did add a smiley to that statemant, for me there is only one St Ives, all the rest are just copies!
            got to agree on that Vince.The only place that i have seen anything close to St.Ives is on the I.O.W

Comment

Hi again. Many thanks to all who've replied. Sadly not so simple as the window lock accidentally depressed or wiper not fully up!! Is it ever that simple?! Well, guess it is sometimes. I'll probably take a look under the tailgate panels before despairing totally. While in the driver's seat if I press UP on the console switch I can hear two 'ticks' coming from the tailgate area, but nothing if I press DOWN, and the window doesn't move either way. But assume that means there's power getting to the right area. I'll revisit forum posts and hope to make better sense this time. Thanks for suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by mary
                Hi again. Many thanks to all who've replied. Sadly not so simple as the window lock accidentally depressed or wiper not fully up!! Is it ever that simple?! Well, guess it is sometimes. I'll probably take a look under the tailgate panels before despairing totally. While in the driver's seat if I press UP on the console switch I can hear two 'ticks' coming from the tailgate area, but nothing if I press DOWN, and the window doesn't move either way. But assume that means there's power getting to the right area. I'll revisit forum posts and hope to make better sense this time. Thanks for suggestions!
                If the switch and the wiper are both alright, it sounds like the relay for the 'down' is knackered. The click you can hear is the 'up' relay. It should make the same noise when you press down.

Comment

I saw a thread a while back re; the replacement of just the component relays, instead of the whole box.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                      I saw a thread a while back re; the replacement of just the component relays, instead of the whole box.
                      Yup. There are four relays insde the control panel for window control. The control panel is behind the passenger side trim, just behind the light cluster. Panel off job to access it. Just did mine, yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        Just did mine, yesterday.
                        Ha me too.

First all the windows went (not the lock button). Turned out to be the main 12v feed wire was broken between the door pillar and the door (under the rubber boot). Common place for wires to go as they kink - yeah man. Also another wire was ready for soldering. Had created intermittent faults.

Was pleased with the repair and drove off only to see the rear window stop and stick halfway as I went to park at the shops.

Back home again and tailgate panel off etc (after checking the forum) - took an hour and bolted the motor wheel cog parts which were slipping. Put the de-mister wires back on (thought so! - as descibed on the forum). Greased up (the window regulator sliders) and put all back.

Relax all done - all easy and all the fault of the previous owners lack of care - total 5h1te - who are these modern men that do nothing?

Fast demisted windows for another 15 years.
                        Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

Working...
                        X